The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a trip up to the High Sierras and found these plants in a little brook. I was amazed at how healthy they all were. Can anyone help me ID these plants though? I know #3 is most likely dwarf hairgrass.

1. These grew fairly low and could possibly be used for mid ground.

2. This one looks like a moss of some sort? It forms nice bushes.

3. dhg?

Help me out guys.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
The second plant species is fontinalis aka willow moss. The exact species I can't tell since the photo is dark, and I'm sitting out side and have a bunch of glare.

The first looks like a sword and the third looks like a dwarf hair grass of some kind, Tom Barr probably knows which species both of those plants, since he goes hiking a bunch up there.

-Andrew

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think it's a sword at all. I'll have to take better pics. The leaves are not stiff and the leaves grow off a stem unlike swords.

Btw all these plants are for sale: I'll be putting up a formal fs thread once they're correctly id'd.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
The top one might be a Potomogeton of some kind, but that a wild guess for me ;). Can the plant support it's own weight when out of the water? If not, it's probably a true aquatic (like the Potomogeton genus)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
1 looks like a potomogeton that I find in the lake accross fom me. It's definantly a stem plant and not a sword tho.

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The top one might be a Potomogeton of some kind, but that a wild guess for me ;). Can the plant support it's own weight when out of the water? If not, it's probably a true aquatic (like the Potomogeton genus)
The plant can not support it's own weight. The leaves are rather delicate.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Definitely not a sword, it is a stem plant.

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
I have seen that 1st plant before, I think that Tom Barr actually has pictures of it in his 180 Gallon tank thread. He found it locally. The other two plants have already been id-ed correctly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts