The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am new to planted aquarium. I have been trying to look all over the internet for the ID of this plant. Cant really find a similar looking plant cause my plant has roots all over in the stem and between the branches but looks close to some kind of Anubias.

So help tell me what it seems like it is. and is it a background or foreground plant. and whats with all those roots shooting around

Can I grow this plant in the netted pot it came in?
I will use Micro and Macro liquid supplements for it(on the way)
with DIY Co2.

I am looking for plant substrate since long which i cant find for planted aquarium its kinda hard to get in here and I cannot get it shipped from abroad in here. So till then can it out grow in the pot?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Yeah you can leave it in the pot for now, but would advise placing in substrate when able.

I'm sure other can suggest nutrient-packed substrates for you. But you could use any substrate really (even plain inert sand or gravel with no nutrients in it) as only dosing the water column is fine, or you could add your own fertilizers into the substrate via root tabs/osmocote.

When you bought the plant, was it completely under water (submersed) or above water (emersed)?
What was the plant sold as (name)?

Roots growing along the stem are common.

To me it looks to have been grown emersed (whether it was placed underwater at the store is another story). I do not know the plant ID so I can't say whether or not it is a true aquatic plant and can be grown under water or if it's a terrestrial plant and would die if it stayed underwater. For now, until you get a more positive ID, it might be best to grow the plant in the current state it is in (which looks like emersed growth) if you want it to stay alive. I am not very knowledgeable on plants, but the roots growing along the main stem under nodes, have me leaning over to think it is capable of being grown submersed, but that is very risky listening to me with my extremely limited knowledge on plants (especially terrestrial). If you grow it the way it was currently grown, it would survive, but it's humidity requirements I do not know. To me it does look emersed grown, if it can be grown submersed it may grow underwater, but would go through a transition to submersed state/form, but that is a risk if you aren't sure it can be grown underwater. Just making sure you know the risk of the plant surviving or not.

Hopefully someone who knows more about plants will comment.
I honestly have no idea on the plant ID and don't even want to attempt guessing :p

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hello Omar,

Brand availability depends on location. Do some market research, what brands are available ?

As WaterLife pointed out, inert sand or fine gravel can be good and cheap for a start.

The plant you show has been grown emersed at high humidity. Let it grow underwater for some time and come back with a photo for a better ID. At this moment I can only guess.. Hygrophila maybe ???? It looks like a big background-type plant.

Cheers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Might it be Alternanthera ficoidea (Green Hedge)? If so, it is not a truly aquatic plant.

For substrates, you could use an inert sand like pool filter sand or blasting sand with a medium to large grain size. You want sand that is not tiny-grained (like play sand) and it should have been screened so that the grains are all relatively the same size. This helps prevent settling and the formation of anerobic pockets.

The only "downside" of this sand is that it doesn't store nutrients. Frankly with a planted tank we tend to be dosing anyway so it makes little difference. If you're running a higher tech setup and forget to dose, you'll definitely notice sooner since the substrate won't be leeching anything to help make up for the lack.

I'm no expert.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.