The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have this umbrella like plant... my girlfriends mother brought it for us, a single umbrella strand (it was kinda drying out, that is why I cut the leaves) and she insisted that it needs to be completely submerged upside down till it roots, than it needs to be planted like that and it will grow several "umbrellas"... Now I was kinda skeptic, but we did it anyway... Once it started rooting I moved it in to the shrimp tank (25L) with the idea that maybe it will actually grow and be a nice aquarium plant.
A few days ago I observed that it actually is growing leaves/maybe umbrellas and rooting even more (see attached photos)...
I did some google search and I think its cyperus alternifolius, but I'm not sure, can it be this cyperus alternifolius? if so is there a way to "dwarf" it so it wouldn't grow out of the aquarium? can it be kept completely underwater or will I eventually need to remove it and plant it in a pot (the tank has a dirt/soil mix substrate covered my sand and decorative gravel) or allow it to grow out of the tank? Can I repeat the "multiplication" once it has more umbrellas by cutting them of and putting them back upside down?

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm pretty sure you are correct, cyperus alternifolius, and no they cannot survive fully submerged. The only way I know to stunt growth is by binding the roots in a sort of pot that is too small.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.