Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right on... Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, not mine. I have a shrimp tank that I'm lookin for inspiration on. Was trying to find a ground cover plant that might do well without alot of ferts. I don't want to throw off the breeding cycle ya know. I'm in the air over riccia or fissidens. Would like to find something as low and tight as possible so the younglings don't get lost in the weeds. Think riccia will fit the bill?

Chris

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Riccia might prefer higher ligh, and eventually float to the top if you don't keep re tying it. Fissidens might be a better bet, but is a bit more expensive, and grows slower.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I'm of the opinion you should always buy plants from as local a source as possible.

I've bought plants from Aquatic Magic (bought some moss I couldn't find state-side), and though most did arrive alive, if they'd gotten held up in customs it would have all been dead on arrival. Happened to plenty of others.

Check out the S&S and/or make a WTB thread there- Fissidens isn't that hard to come by.

And I've also grown riccia with no problems in a low light/low tech 10gal tank. Grew slowly, but it grew.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
STATESIDE??!! they're overseas? nevermind then. Back to the riccia, the shrimp farm as I call it is a 4 gallon cube with a 10 watt screw in cfl. That's pretty good amount of light isn't it? The plants I cleared out to make room for this new venture were growing like crazy. They were only crypts and anubius but still with no ferts and inert sand substrate I was pretty impressed. And yes the SnS is the way to go. My first two experiences there were excellent. Here's what I threw together with a few clipping the other day to keep the little guys entertained:
DSC01947 (600 x 450).jpg

DSC01949 (600 x 450).jpg

DSC01951 (600 x 450).jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts