The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 gallon tank. it as gravel and I have the long tube bulb fixture by plant vitamins I mean I have this stuff called nutrafin: plant gro. it suppose to help plants grow and I have a 15w life-gro bulb.

I don't have any co2 kits for tank, would like to know if needed.
my fish are 1 dwarf gourami, 3 glofish, 1 albino Cory and 1 normal Cory, 2 mollies and 3 platys(a red wag, bumblebee and an high fin)

my plants are dieing please help

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
What kind of gravel is it? How deep is it? What kind of filtration are you using? How long do you keep the light on? Post a pic. Helps to see what you're working without a lot of information being given.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Oh dude . . .

One of the key componants to growing plants is to have a nutrtious substrate. Smaller sized gravel would help. A natural colored gravel would be a nice addition, as well. Your gravel is unsuitable for your corys.

Are you able to get another type of gravel? We can help you with suggestions if you're not really tied to what you have in there.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Take a look at fertilzer tabs, you can push them into the gravel under the plants. most stem plants will take ferts out of the water, so going full on stems is not going to be a problem with the substrate you have. I would test out some plants and see what will grow, and what will not. I have been very surprised at which plants will grow in my tanks that should not. Be weary of any of the tube plants you will find at some of the big box stores, most are non aquatic and will rot if submerged. your light should allow you to grow quite a few low light plants with little problems. I would however replace the stock 10 gal hood (if you are using it) with a glass top, your able to center the light a bit better and get a better spread for the light.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Corydoras have feelers called barbels that they use to find food. Most species come from areas that have silt or sand as a substrate. Big gravel and rough gravel will damage the barbels of the fish.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.