The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

I have been trying for months to get some plants started in my (assuming by dimensions lol) 40-45gal breeder. It has been one nightmare after another! I am debating giving up, esp after the planter I made failed the goldfish test, and has recently dislodged itself from my tank, creating a HUGE mess :frown2:. Yet I still love having real plants for my ravenous monsters lol. I have common and a comet goldfish, so not many plants have survived their wrath. The ones that have are not doing so hot. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE some input on what needs changing. I do not want to mess with anything more than the lowest of low tech, so no ferts, no co2...just lights and fish poo. Is this possible to have any variety of plants? I have what I believe are crypts, windelov, and african fern left. They are all short, nubby, and sad. I have 3 13watt cfl lights in domes clipped to the side. I hope to trim my piece of acrylic to set on top so I can place the lights directly over the water. HOWEVER! I have NO IDEA if this is already too much light for how few nutrients I have, or not enough. Any help would be wonderful!

Thanks everyone!

· Registered
649 Posts
Planted tanks and goldfish are generally not a good combination. Goldfish are underwater lawnmowers.

You can try some tough plants, which also do well in low light. Anubias, java fern, maybe some moss. Tie them to driftwood or rocks rather than planting them. They do better that way, and the goldfish won't dig them up rooting around in the substrate.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I know their destructive power lol you should see them with duckweed! Surprisingly, they have little interest digging up the plants...anymore. I am quite surprised. As long as I keep a bare spot for them to overturn rocks and root through, they leave my sad little crypts alone. I love attaching plants to rocks and wood, and I would LOVE to attach maybe some type of fern to some driftwood to make it look like a tree. BUT I must figure out my light/nutrient balance first! I am hoping someone here has a set up similar to what I want/have going, and can give me some badly needed advice (esp with lighting!!! ;) ) Thank you for your input!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.