The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for suggestions on a plant to use in our growth contest. Should be fairly easy. I am thinking of using glosso, but I am open to other suggestions.

Basically the plan is to distribute the plants for a minimal fee and then in 6onths award prizes for the best or most growth. Maybe we could work that into an iwagami contest or something.

Any and all feed back would be appreciated.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yeah its probably just Floridians, but then again a lot of northerners retire here. Lol. Will they be grown in a regulated size container or something. How about java moss or creeping jenny

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think they could be grown in anything just so long as the conditions are documented. Java moss is very plentiful. It is always offered at just about every monthly club meeting. So I wanted something less common.

The first step though is to see if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Glosso sounds good though, or torment people with water clover as its kind of a slow grower submersed looks like a mini glosso

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
water clover would be a good one , bu it takes some time to estsablish well and take off ime.

how about crypt wendtii or some type of hydro , so that the not so plant savvy can also be involved

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I think Anubias barteri var. nana would be the perfect plant for this kind of growth rate contest, you could start everyone one off with a small plant with only a couple of leaves, and then see who grows the biggest plant with the most leaves on it.

Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think that finding a large quantity of marsilea would just be too hard. I do like the idea of the anubias. I should have enough crypts to supply for the next contest in 6 months or so.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As you can imagine there is always duckweed available at club auctions. Some people feed it to their fish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts