The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone offer me some advice why the RED plant in the photo below is growing at 45 degree angles instead of going straight up? My other plants are doing just fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
915 Posts
Plants normally grow towards the light. The plant may have not been getting enough light on one side, so it started to grow to the other side where it was getting more light.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have 3 LED lights on top, it spreads across the entire width of the tank.

I have 2 marineland Reefs and a finnex Ray 2

Its a LOT of light. You can see the plants on the left of it are bright red at the tops and it is getting a lot of light, because the entire plant is "RED" (this is indicative of very good light.

I did plant it straight, but I found a Crypt Wendi Green in the middle of the cluster. Is it sending out some signal to get these guys to go sideways like this?

-- I taken the plants out, and the bottom of the plant was straight, and then it goes at a 45 degree angle about an inch upwards or so, I cut off the bottom of it, and replanted it again. Hopefully it will not do this again, some small parts of glosso was mixed in with its roots though.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
This is normal for plants which are crowded by taller plants. The plants on the left are blocking the light. Trimming those will let light in and they may go straight again. If you look around outside, you will see the same on trees and shrubs.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
This is normal for plants which are crowded by taller plants. The plants on the left are blocking the light. Trimming those will let light in and they may go straight again. If you look around outside, you will see the same on trees and shrubs.
Yep. Just because you have high light doesn't mean all the plants are getting the light equally. The side of the plant that the other plants block will grow away from the offenders.

To fix, simply replant near plants that won't shade a side of it, or trim the plants blocking it a bit.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
My son once corrected me when I said the plant likes to grow toward the sun. He very careflly explained that the plant does not "like" anything. There is something on the lighted side which is impacted by the light and that leaves the shaded side more able to grow making the plant bend toward the light.

I still think it likes the sun!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi.

Your plants very nice and healthy. What are those plants name? I'm new to plant and this forum still learning.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have some Ludwigia growing that way. I trimmed the plants beside back and it started growing straight. I also tried moving some into a different spot and that helped to.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi.

Your plants very nice and healthy. What are those plants name? I'm new to plant and this forum still learning.
Thank you

The plant on the left of the ludwiga with the flowers is

CABOMBA PALAEFORMIS, purple Cabomba

Limnophila aromatica 'hippuroides'
and
Rotala Rotundifolia

The stuff in the rock cavity is hc dwarf baby tears
and there are some crypt wendi green directly in front of the rock in the glosso

The carpet in the front is glossostigma "glosso"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts