The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm some what new to the planted tank. I'm having a problem with this co2 system. I mixed everything the way it asked me too and after a couple of hours i get this gooey looking substance it's white that is trapped under the diffuser. It happen to me the first time, but that's because I think i shook the canister, but after the second time doing it carefully without causing turbulence I still same results. I'm afraid this "substance" will destroy my tank. By the way, here is a picture of what it looks like. Sorry if it's blurry a bit, I tried my best to take a nice picture of it. Anybody know what this is?

-Eric

Attachments

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Somehow you have "yeast goo" in your tubing. Probably when you shook it up.

Try to blow out your tubing. Then wipe the "yeast goo" off the ladder and tubing.

You will always have a little bit of that "yeast goo" building up from time to time. Just wipe it off when needed. Sometimes when enough forms there, the bubbles will float straight up to the surface. The "yeast goo" won't poison your aquarium.

I have two 10g grow out tanks with those ladders hooked up to a pressurized CO2 system. They stay very clean.

Here's a tip. You may want to add a small powerhead above the top of the ladder. It will catch the bubbles that would normally escape to the surface. Then the bubbles are sucked up and spit out in many tiny bubbles. The powerhead also helps to disperse the CO2 around the aquarium more. I use the tiny Rio 50 powerhead. It has many nice attachments like the rotational duckbill out flow and the flow control valve.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Somehow you have "yeast goo" in your tubing. Probably when you shook it up.

Try to blow out your tubing. Then wipe the "yeast goo" off the ladder and tubing.

You will always have a little bit of that "yeast goo" building up from time to time. Just wipe it off when needed. Sometimes when enough forms there, the bubbles will float straight up to the surface. The "yeast goo" won't poison your aquarium.

I have two 10g grow out tanks with those ladders hooked up to a pressurized CO2 system. They stay very clean.
Left C, thanks for answering my problem. It was very kind of you to take a look at my post. Once again, thank you! And will clean the tubing tomorrow! Thanks!

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Left C, thanks for answering my problem. It was very kind of you to take a look at my post. Once again, thank you! And will clean the tubing tomorrow! Thanks!
You are very welcome. I'm glad to try to help.

I edited my post just now and added a bit more info. Those ladders sure have been popular. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
I agree with Left C. The "yeast goo" (as it has been aptly named) is harmless to your aquarium, if a bit unsightly. Just remove it as normal, but it will likely come back.

You can add a gas separator between the Plant-Gro bottle and your ladder diffuser to slow down the appearance of the yeast goo in your tank.

As another side note, the Plant-Gro mixture is DIY CO2. Rather than purchasing the refills when the time comes (in about 2 weeks), you can replicate the mixture with sugar and yeast (essentially what DIY CO2 is). There are many threads on DIY CO2, but a common recipe is 2 cups sugar and 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon yeast mixed into a 2L pop bottle, filled approximately 3/4 the way up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with Left C. The "yeast goo" (as it has been aptly named) is harmless to your aquarium, if a bit unsightly. Just remove it as normal, but it will likely come back.

You can add a gas separator between the Plant-Gro bottle and your ladder diffuser to slow down the appearance of the yeast goo in your tank.

As another side note, the Plant-Gro mixture is DIY CO2. Rather than purchasing the refills when the time comes (in about 2 weeks), you can replicate the mixture with sugar and yeast (essentially what DIY CO2 is). There are many threads on DIY CO2, but a common recipe is 2 cups sugar and 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon yeast mixed into a 2L pop bottle, filled approximately 3/4 the way up.
Anthony,

Thank you for your input! I have one question, the CO2 mixture you gave me, will that also work with CO2 system I bought or do I have to reduce the amount of yeast or anything when I add it to my canister?

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
Anthony,

Thank you for your input! I have one question, the CO2 mixture you gave me, will that also work with CO2 system I bought or do I have to reduce the amount of yeast or anything when I add it to my canister?
It should work with the CO2 system you bought. Of course, if your container is smaller than 2L (which I suspect it is), all you would need to do is scale down the amounts. For example, for a 1L bottle, you could use 1 cup sugar, 1/4 to 1/8 teaspoon yeast, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts