The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just set up a small 1.5 gal with just a Java fern in it at work. What type of plant food do I need to keep it alive if it's the only thing in the tank? Also, should I treat the water with conditioner? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I would put a fertilizer tablet in the substrate. Java ferns grow quite slowly, so the slow seep of fertilizer from the tablet might be enough. Get something like Seachem's tablets that include some trace minerals.
No need for dechlor if there is no livestock in the tank. No need for a heater, either. Java ferns are fine at room temperature.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Your water should be dechlorinated before adding live plants, they don't do well with the chlorine or chloramine in tap! Seachem Prime is my preferred dechloriantor.

IMO only 'pets' snails-bladder, pond, or ramshorn snails would be all I'd put in there.
I feel bettas should have 2-2.5g MINIMUM, length is better than height for betta tanks as they do like having some swim room (they'd need the heater and ideally a sponge filter to be comfortable).
Shrimp tank needs filter and should be cycled, planted, and aged (up and running several months) before adding shrimp. And honestly its better to have a larger tank for shrimp as the more water volume-the more stable the parameters and shrimp are very sensitive about parameters.
Larger snail species like nerite, apple, and mystery snail should have larger tanks as they have HUGE biolaods for this size.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.