The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Unfortunately I don't have very much time today to do any work but I wanted to throw some stuff up for discussion in the meantime.

It appears that the two biggest concerns right now are the calendar used to select the dates and the way in which we select fish/shrimp/plants.

The calendar is easy enough to fix, just make it easier to go backwards i.e not just month by month but year by year.

The fish/plants/shrimp is harder. Right now the names are just being pulled from our Plant Profiles and Fish Profiles. Currently shrimp are being added to the Fish Profiles since there isn't a dedicated shrimp/inverts section.

This begs the question, should we even be linking the pTracker livestock inventory to these databases or just allow users to hand enter fish/plants? From a record keeping and programming standpoint the answer is yes. In the future this will make it MUCH easier to search for tanks by certain livestock.

From an ease of use standpoint the answer isn't quite so clear. Our databases aren't complete and there can be many, many common names for species based on region and other factors.

What do you all think?

The possibility with pTracker is pretty extensive, I just want to get it to a point that it is useful and easy to use before releasing it to the public.

New features can then be slowly added over time.

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
I personally didn't mind the calendar being by month at first. Then it got a little old. It would be nice to be able to simply type in the date even. Is there a way to update the plant and fish profiles to be listed by scientific name?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I was wondering that too. Sometimes plants and fish can have multiple common names, and everyone's idea on which one if the one used the most is different.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I is nice to have it link to the fish and plant profiles. I can see how it might be useful to less experienced people like me to find the profile and use that to list items you have in the tank.

I didn't see a place for maintenance records like water changes, filter cleaning, gravel vac. stuff like that.

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
I would like to be able to list what plants/ shrimp I have without linking to the plant databases. I don't mind the link but those with plants/ inverts not listed should still ahve a feature to add our own listings.

Craig

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
New system for fish is nice, but for plants, you have to manually type in the name. And how come there's that popup before I can add a fish or plant?

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
In the add plants section I cna add one plant but as soon as I try to add a second one I get a database error.

Craig

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
Also I jsut tried to remove the shirmp I posted in the fish section instead of shrimp section, duh. I get to the next page and it tells me I don't have permission to edit this tank.

Craig

1 - 12 of 12 Posts