The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started getting into live plants last year and all my tanks are live now and going great. Mostly low tech stuff. My main tank has become a jungle and still being new wasn't sure if I should trim these bad boys down or leave alone. I'm mostly referring to my three swords. I started with one and clipped off part of it when it got big and have two more now. Not sure if it's okay to leave them like is or to cut em. Included pic. Any advice would be appreciated.

Water Plant community Plant Nature Green

· Registered
48 Posts
I like the jungle look! I would pull the outermost stems off of the swords to allow for new growth and create a little space. If you cant pull them off then cutting them as close as possible to the base is fine. I learned the hard way that letting things get overgrown creates even more work down the road than putting in small amounts of maintenance throughout the week.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the jungle look! I would pull the outermost stems off of the swords to allow for new growth and create a little space. If you cant pull them off then cutting them as close as possible to the base is fine. I learned the hard way that letting things get overgrown creates even more work down the road than putting in small amounts of maintenance throughout the week.
Yeah I actually have some plans curved scissors and prongs. I'll be doing maintenance tomorrow so I'll probably do that then. Wasn't sure how to trim em. So thanks for that.

It's a great idea to propagate more plants from your fast-growing plants. You can give them to friends or sell them. Assuming you don't have more space to plant them into of course.
It's pretty cool doing that. Saved me money from buying more then once plant and all this tank has is mystery snails so I don't have to worry about pest. There is a store I know of that I'll actually see if they want some plants

1 - 5 of 5 Posts