The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just planted my first tank 4 days ago. It is a 29L with fluval 4+, 65w pc lighting 10 hrs per day, eco complete substate. The only supplements are florish exel for now will do more after tank established. Plants are micro sword, Anubias nana, chainsword, java fern, green cryptocoryne, water sprite, ludwigia-broad, anacharis, combomba,and amazon sword. Water parameters are NH3 less than .25 mg/l, NO2 less than .03 mg/l, pH is around 7.5. My question is why are my plants yellowing? I was possibly thinking that some die off is normal on newly established tanks but I may just be worrying to much. The plants don't seem to be thriving. Any input would be helpful.:icon_sad:

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Don't panic just yet. Many plants that are sold in pet stores are grown emmersed (up out of the water) and when they make the transition to be submerged it can be a little rough on them. Your microsword, nana, java fern, and anacharis shouldn't be effected, but your crypt, water sprite, ludwigia, cabomba and sword will be a little rough until they convert. All the new growth will be in the submerged form, and the emmersed growth will die back as the new stuff grows in.

Another possibility, especially if your anacharis is dying, is that the Excel got to it. Excel is GREAT and completely safe to use, but when you throw it in with fine-membraned plants like anacharis it tends to melt them. It may bounce back, it may not. Just be sure to stick to the recommended dosing. Don't stop dosing Excel - it is great stuff.

It could also very well be some other problem with ferts or light, but since it has only been 4 days, my guess is that they are just adjusting.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The term is actually emmersed. Immersed is when it is grow in water. I'm not sure that crypt's, cambomba, or ludwiga can grow emmersed. However, they probably do need to get used to your tank. Anacharis never did too well in my tank, but that is probably because the Florida heat was too much for it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts