The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this plant in my 10g shrimp tank I have no idea what it is and it is showing signs of deficiency of some type. I do not dose but I did place O+ in gel caps around the substrate. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. The deficiency answer was what I had expected but I wasnt 100% positive as I had only read about it never saw it with my own eyes. Now that I know what it is I looked it up under my plants and this what I found posted by user @Solcielo lawrencia so thanks to him: This plant requires significant amounts of potassium. Without abundant supply, holes will quickly develop in the older leaves. 30ppm of K is the minimum so be certain you have a potassium fertilizer before attempting to grow this plant.

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
Thanks for the replies. The deficiency answer was what I had expected but I wasnt 100% positive as I had only read about it never saw it with my own eyes. Now that I know what it is I looked it up under my plants and this what I found posted by user @Solcielo lawrencia so thanks to him: This plant requires significant amounts of potassium. Without abundant supply, holes will quickly develop in the older leaves. 30ppm of K is the minimum so be certain you have a potassium fertilizer before attempting to grow this plant.
No, this plant doesn't require significant amounts of potassium. If you read the H. pinna: How Much Potassium thread, it turned out that the necrotic pinholes were the result of a micronutrient toxicity. So I was very wrong that it was a potassium deficiency

I don't know if this is also the issue with your plants but the plant on the right has some twisting and curled leaves. K deficiency wouldn't result in that symptom. So it may be likely that it is a micronutrient toxicity from excessive O+ without doing much water changes.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
@Solcielo lawrencia I do 30% water changes every 2 weeks on that tank. I am moving the contents of that tank to a 20H soon until then I will do 30% every week and see if they come out of it. Thanks for the input! Reading that thread now. Where this plant is has become a semi shaded area. Could a lack of light be the issue?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you added a lot of O+ to the substrate and the substrate is very porous, it will leach out into the water column. No, a lack of light isn't the issue.
Thanks for the reply. The substrate is clay rich yard soil capped with bdbs. After further research and reading I dont think I will be using O+ in the future. The O+ gel caps were placed there at the beginning of October. I would have thought that any toxicity issues would have been gone by now. That stuff has staying power I reckon.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@dukydaf, Thanks for the reply. The tank has been setup since Sept. I have a flourescent tube, 18" Flora sun I believe. I ran some water test and my nitrates are high. I think Solcielo lawrencia is right. I am moving the tank to a 20H soon and am forgoing the O+.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Yeah, for me there is not enough info to assume a correct diagnosis (number of O+, frequency, bioload, filter output, KH, GH, etc...) but if you are happy than ok. I find it fascinating how some people can say that a lack of light is not an issue when previously you never said anything about light.

Frankly I am more interested in the plant ID. For me H. pinnatifida (source:tropica) never grew in this form (high or low light,co2 or no co2), except when emersed. Can you confirm that this plant has been added to the aquarium in Sept ? Is the plant in the photo fully grown in your aquarium or does it have parts grown from before buying it?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
@dukydaf Thanks for the reply. I can confirm the plant was added in September. It was placed when I set the tank up. The tank is a low tech running an 18" fluorescent tube, Filtration is a sponge filter with an Aquaclear 20 powerhead. I dont remember how many O+ caps I put in. Lesson learned to log that stuff. I normally do 30% water changes every two weeks on that tank.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates were off the chart.
I did a large water change last night.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Thank you @thedood for the details about your aquarium. The plant seems to be a little crowded... Maybe such broad leaves are a response to very low light combined with high nitrate. I will try and grow one plant to such a form and see if I succeed. I find it surprising that a low tech tank with shrimps and plants has such high nitrate ( in mine low nitrate is a problem).

Good luck with setting up your new aquarium.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Mikeygmzmg Pretty hard
PH 8.0
Gh 7
KH 11
@dukydaf The nitrates had been running about 20 or so and then boom. From further research I think the O+ may be leaching ammonia/nitrogen and may well be causing trace toxicity as suggested earlier. Hopefully moving them to a new tank minus O+ will solve the issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.