The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have some plants that show signs of calcium deficiency. i dont understand why though. here are my parameters

55g
4wpg
ei dosing kno3, kh2po4, csm+b
kh 2.5d
gh 10d
pressurized co2 with a yellow green drop checker
ph 6.2 - 6.3

i get plants that have a distorted growth on the new growth of the plants.

could use some help please.

·
Are these real?
15,726 Posts
It's possible... maybe the Ca/Mg ratio is out of whack for some reason. Do you have access to local water reports, or some way to get it tested?

One thing you could try is to reduce the light a bit. Either by turning off some, reducing the period, or raising it up above the tank. 4W/gal is a lot, especially if it is efficient T5 or PC light with good reflectors.

Adding some GH booster and looking at the results might be another option.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have well water so there is no report. my lights are already about 4" over the tank and for some reason i cant get ground cover to grow for me with 3wpg. so i went to 4 and everything is growing fine. i did have the same problem one time with my alternanthera one time when i was using 2 wpg so i doubt its the light.

·
Registered
567 Posts
If you can take a sample of your tap water in to an LFS that deals with saltwater, they can probably test the calcium level for you.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I would add some GH booster just to see if that helps but I'm betting it's CO2 related no matter what color your drop checker. That's a lot of light so I'd either cut back on the light or try misting CO2 instead of using a reactor. If it were me I'd make sure I have good flow throughout the tank, cut back on light by half, be sure I'm consistent with my ferts. If that doesn't fix it I'd find go the misting route. But once again I think you're CO2 demand is more than you can supply with that amount of light.

·
Are these real?
15,726 Posts
Some folks think the mist is superior to the 100% diffusion in an inline reactor. I am not one of them.

Sometimes you get better CO2 distribution with a powerhead (in addition to your regular filtration). Better circulation = more CO2 getting to plants.

However, you can't blame everything on CO2. I think before you change around your CO2 injection, it would be worth doing some testing and perhaps adding some GH booster.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have a emeim 2026 (i think) and a powerhead in the tank for circulation.

i'm willing to up my co2 i guess even though its yellowish already, if anyone else really thinks its a good idea.

i ordered some gh booster figured it cant hurt to try it.

could it be lack of calcium in my substrate?

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I'm trying to decide if I should just cut and paste my first response, but I still think it's a CO2 issue based on my experience with the same type growth on the same plant. I still see it from time to time on some stems if I don't thin them out some. After thinning the new growth is back to normal. The reason for this in my tank, IMO, is because the thick growth decreases the flow through those plants and prevents them from getting enough CO2. I've also seen this kind of growth on the same plant when I was running with a lower bubble count. I tweaked the bubble count, even though I had a light green drop checker, along with circulation and growth became normal.

In your case it may be lack of Ca and/or Mg but I can only go on what worked for me in this case. You have a lot of light, especially if you're using T5's or have a good reflector. More light means your CO2 demand goes up as does the demand for other nutrients and it makes things harder to maintain even though a lot of people manage to do it well with a lot of light. Anyway, just trying to toss out an idea or two for you to consider.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i hear what you're saying but my co2 levels seem to be pretty high in here and the plants in question always seem to be in open areas with enough water flow. and i understand that the lighting can cause the need for more uptake but i've had the same issue with half of the lighting i have now.

i have upped my co2 although its making me kinda nervous. and my gh booster just came in so i'll start dosing that on sunday after my 50%.

anyone think anything else? anyone agree with low co2 or lack of gh booster?
anything?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts