The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been dedicating alot of time to my planted tank and to learning alot about aquarium plants. Through reading, trial and error and word of mouth I've been able to grow plants successfully but not as well as I'd like to.

I have a 20 gal planted tank with several plants, some that grow much better than others. And some that arent doing to well. I would love for some help as to figure out why.

Tank Description.
20gal.
65W 6700K power compact (8 hours a day)
tahiti moon sand substrate (mainly silica)
Haggen diy co2
------
pH 6.4
kH 35.8
Nitrate 7ppm
co2 24ppm
------
5 ottos
1 gold gourami
1 dwarf pleco
3 tetras
4 golden apple snails (very young)
------
20%-30% water changes weekly
daily dose of 1/8 cap of Flourish Excel

Below are some photos of the plants. About a month ago I was growing alot more algae, both BBA and green hair, it still grows but has slowed down alot since I started dosing the excel. The ottos also started clearing out alot of the green hair algae, which I dont mind much because its a source of food for them. What has been bothering me is that most of the plants older leaves are dying off very quickly while the new growth looks great.

I have been trying to figure out what may cause this, possibly a lack of some nutrients. I hope you will be able to help me pin point the options that would cause this so that I can grow healthier plants and control the algae, not necessarily get rid of it.

Not doing so well:

Doing better:

P.S. I have dry fertilizers that I have not yet used. I have found that dosing fertilizers is somewhat complicated. Even reading alot on the krib I feel stupid for not understanding everything.
This is what I have:
PMDD Premix
Potassium Sulfate
Potassium Nitrate
Mono Potassium Phosphate

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know the substrate in the tank is not the best choice for a planted tank, I bought that before I knew I was going to make this a planted tank. If the substrate is going to cause several problems I am thinking of just starting over. Removing everything and adding some flourite or eco-complete.
If I chose to start over I would upgrade to pressurized co2 aswell.

But if there is a way to obtain healthier plants with the setup I currently have I would love to know. I am tight with money right now cause I am trying to buy a house. So this could save me some cash.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Take a few minutes and read my Guide. Pay particular attention to the CO2 and nutrient areas. Your plants are starving to death.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
try adding trace elements, potassium(potassium sulfate), iron, and some sort or magnesium (magnesium sulfate).. oh, and calcium (calcium sulfate)...

If you have rooted plants, you'd need root tabs ferts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts