The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The plant auction was fantastic with lots of neat plants and fish. Please visit the general auction or next years plant auction if you are able!

The Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS.org) is hosting the annual plant auction on February 13th. The general auction will follow on April 14th (a Saturday). Please plan to attend if you are in the area!

The announcement from the GSAS mailing list:

"The plant auction was originally conceived back in the days when decent plants were really hard to get. The club would do a wholesale buy and auction off the plants to the small group of members attending. During the latter half of the 1990's, with the interest in planted tanks exploding, we saw this auction grow accordingly, in some years even approaching the level of our general auction. Folks from Portland and Vancouver BC have occasionally travelled down to see and buy. We've also seen some years where we've sold more member cuttings than wholesale stock.

At any rate, here's what you can expect to happen on the 13th:

Come by at 7 to preview items at our usual location, Weter Hall, SPU campus. We'll be auctioning plants starting at 7:30. We'll do our best to try and explain a little about the plants (i.e., light requirements, how "challenging" it is, etc). Depending on the amount of donations, we might be out by 9 like last year, or it might push on until 10:30.

If you're a member, you may bring up to 20 lots to sell of your own.
Members get 60% of the bid, while the club takes the remaining 40%. The board has decided to include FISH and other livestock this year, so feel free to bring your juveniles! You can also bring plant-related dry-goods like substrate, fertilizer, CO2 gear, and specialty lights, but no general stuff like tanks or filters. Save those for April.

No restriction on how many of each single species/thing (plants or fish), but practice moderation (I don't think we'll need 20 lots of java moss for instance).

Anyone can always donate items -- the club's treasury is a bit lean this year, and I am sure they'd appreciate the extra cash. There is no item limit on donations.

If you are bringing items to sell, try and come a bit early so we can get your items registered into the computer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,045 Posts
I'll try and make it. Save me a spot by the door incase JR. decides to cry durring any talks and what not. I have a half tanks worth of Stargrass I was hoping to off tonight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have a half tanks worth of Stargrass I was hoping to off tonight.
Nice, split it into several "sandwich" bags (more than say 5 is pushing it) and I will try to get them sold for a fair price.

I am bringing 4 bags of pellia in addition to other fun stuff. AND 3X9L bags of ADA AQUASOIL and 18 L of SPECIAL POWERSAND!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,045 Posts
:sob: I guess in 17years and 11 months when I ship this kid off to college I will be able to go where and when I want. :(
I really wanted that ADA stuff too. ahh well..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BlueRam, I think I must have gotten one of your bags of Pellia (Thanks for bringing it!). Looking forward to doing something with it, though I can't decide what...do you anchor yours to a rock?
You can tie it down if you like but it tends to fragment and float around anyways. Glad you enjoyed the auction.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top