The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I've been through a lot in the last 2.5 years with my planted standard 5.5gl nano tank. It was a planted betta tank (betta had to be euthanized due to massive tumor growths), then set dormant and somewhat ignored by me for several months after I had my daughter, and now it's back with fresh plantings, some rearranging of hardscape, and some new fish.

It's on the overstocked side ATM... we're talking school of ember tetras and female honey gourami overstocked..., so I'm running a nano sponge filter, a mini HOB, and doing WC every ~3 days to compensate with the goal of upgrading to a 10gl to put in the same spot in place of this tank.

I have three questions for you guys and would really appreciate your advice.

1. What plant would you suggest for the back left side of the tank? You will see some myrio there already (growing insanely slow). I would like something similar in looks but without the shedding issues of hornwart and cobamba. Maybe some species of ambulia? I'm running a finnex planted
+ clip light, dosing ferts, flourish excel, temp is 78f, ph is 7.4 - 7.6. I'd like a fast grower that will use a lot of nitrates.

2. Anyone know what the plant in the back right is? It was sold to me as rotala indica, but I'm just not sure about that ID.

3. Do you have any suggestions for a nano tank that is 10gl or close and good for aquascaping? Footprint needs to be close to a 5.5 gallon and not much taller.. it can be deeper (front to back).? I'd like a rimless tank that comes with a lid. I have a cat, so the lid is important. I'd also love suggestions on where I could purchase the tank online. I only have big box stores here, so they will not order in anyting special for me.

Thank you for your time and help!
Water Plant Green Pet supply Organism

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi.
I currently have a Fluval Spec V running as a Betta tank and I like it very much. I have been looking at the Fluval Flora. It is a rimless aquarium that comes with a lid and a light that is suitable for low and medium light plants. It is 15x15x15 so a little deeper and taller than my SpecV. The light is programable. the tank holds 14.5 gallons but that might be bigger than you want. I have seen it at our local PetSmart. You might also find it on Amazon. There are videos on YouTube about it if you search. Pecktec does a lot of videos about fluval products.

I have found that Water Wisteria does a nice job lowering nitrates in my Spec V. It grows quickly and I am always trimming it. I just use Leafzone in my aquarium. That may not be the look you are going for though.

Anyway, have a nice day.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your advice! I will look into the tank you mentioned.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.