The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
All seems pretty good. I have a low tech 29 myself, and everything runs pretty nicely. As far as plants, a lot are hit and miss I have found. You really need to figure out what your water is like first. For instance, watersprite and wisteria are "easy, low tech plants", but I can't grow them in my tank at all. I do have plenty of other plants that do really well though.

Maybe others can chime in on this one, but you might want to wait on the neons for awhile. I have heard that they don't do well in newly set up tanks. What type of shrimp are you thinking about? Guppies may or may not go after them.....I've heard different views on that one also. Are you going with male/female guppies? They freaking breed like crazy! I have two females, and it seems like they drop fry every couple of days.....hahaha. Fishless cycle (I hope)?

And always remember.....bigger is ALWAYS better....if not for water parameter stability, then just for the fact that you can have more fish (you WILL become addicted!).

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
To be honest, I only check for the basics (ph, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates), so I wouldn't be able to help you with the other stuff. That's why plants are probably trial and error for me.

As far as shrimp go, red cherries are your best bet as a beginner. I started with 10 in my 10 gallon tank, and I have close to 100 in there now. There are fascinating to watch, that's for sure. And they are fearless! Every time I stick my hand in there for something, they all rush over and start crawling up my arm.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Just impulse buy.....then keep adding tanks! hahaha.....

Can't help you with your decision. Bigger is always better, but I understand moving that bigger tank is more of an issue. Tough call....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts