The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
I am in the planning stage for a large tank 10 to 12 foot x 30" x 30". I will not be using CO2. It will be a community tank with the ends of the tank at moderate light with stronger light in the middle third. I am not looking for a huge number of types of plants. Possible a very short foreground plant (lawn) with islands of a different sort scattered around. In the background perhaps four different types that would look good together. I would like most of the plants to spread out via runners etc. I'm looking for easy to easy-moderate difficulty level and water suitable for angel fish. Andy suggestions?
Thanks!!
Paul

·
Registered
960 Posts
Sounds like you might want to check out some of these plants. Perhaps some floating plants like red root floater and frogbit for the top. For the Background you could go with Jungle Valisneria, a very easy plant that spreads through runners. Some different types of sword plants in the mid-ground, some crypts and java ferns. For foreground maybe marislea minuta and/or lilaeopsis mauritiana.

For a tank that size though, your going to have to buy a lot of plants up front. Otherwise it'll take forever to spread and fill out the tank.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You can use T5HO lights, three rows of widely spaced 2 bulb fixtures, perhaps using 4 foot long fixtures so buying bulbs will be easy. That would mean using 6 two bulb fixtures, such as these: http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/product_info.php?cPath=71_136&products_id=1419 Or, you could look into using MH fixtures, but you are on your own for determining which ones to pick for the light level you want, since I have far too little data to even guess for those.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts