The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an empty 10 gallon tank and I want to make it a high tech planted tank. My plan is to use Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting mix and clay, with a black diamond blasting sand cap. Anyone have any experience with black diamond as a cap? I'm thinking it should be fine, just not sure how much to use.

For CO2 I will be building a diy setup with a paintball tank. And I plan on using a ZooMed Nano 10 canister filter. I think I will use the media that came with it but once the carbon is used up I will probably replace it with filter floss since the plants should be taking care of most of the filtration. I might try to figure out a way to get the CO2 into the filter to diffuse it, otherwise I will just be getting a regular diffuser to put inside the tank.

I am a little unsure about lighting, I want to use LEDs with enough power for a high tech setup but I also don't want to spend a ton. I am between going for cheaper Beamswork lights, or splurging for a Finnex Stingray or Fugeray Planted +, or even a Ray 2.

I am looking at these BeamWorks lights:

Amazon.com : Beamworks EA Series 0.50W 6500K LED Aquarium Light Freshwater Plant (18 : Pet Supplies

The Plant Evo has 10000K lights, will this slow plant growth compared to 6500K? And if it is slower growing with 10000K would it be worth it to have half the wattage with the EA series? And how do these lights stack up to the Finnex Stingray?

Or maybe I should just take the dive and get the 20 inch planted plus for almost twice the price as the others...

I am open to suggestions for florescent fixtures in the same price range if they are better options.

Oh and one more question, I don't know much about dosing ferts, so any help with that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
For lighting I would honestly go with a Finnex 24/7. Great light for a high tech setup and a single one on a ten gallon should have some pretty good PAR. For ferts I use the GLA EI pack. Great pack for $15 and should last you for a while.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In that case I might have to skip the paintball co2 to save money. Would a diy co2 reactor with yeast work well enough?

So I have deiced to go with a SunSun 602B instead of the Nano 10. Ive seen more good reviews for the SunSun than the nano 10. And I found one on Ebay for $25 with free shipping (Item location is only 3 hours away too so should be fast delivery :icon_smil ). It only comes with sponges for filtration, so mainly mechanical.

While first cycling a planted tank is it necessary to to have chemical/biological filtration? My end goal is to only have mechanical filtration but I guess I am unsure about starting off.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I wouldn't skip on CO2 for more expensive light.

A 10 gallon only 12 inches tall will make most lights medium to high light. The beamworks is 18", how will it fit on a 10 gallon tank?

If you choose any of the lights you listed you will want CO2 and reguarly dosed ferts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has extendable arms to reach to 22 inches. But I am going to just go with the planted plus 24/7. And yeah I think I will just try to be as cheap as I can with the Paintball CO2 while still keeping consistent bps. I will also be getting the GLA EI pack that Dallascowboys16 recommended. Should I start dosing right off the bat, or wait a week or so?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts