The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna be getting a 30-C soon (11.8"x11.8"x11.8" and about 7 gallons) and I have a couple of questions:

1- I have an 18" 36w PC fixture that I plan on using. Is this too much light? I don't mind the light spilling over, but are there any reasons why this fixture would not work?

2- I also have an Eheim 2213. I'd like to use it, but would it be too much flow? Would an Aqua Clear 20 work better?

Any info appreciated.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
HMMM......

I am in somewhat in the same situation as you..

I am getting the mini-m but will be using the mini-m light which is a 27w fixture and designed for the mini-m. I have some experience with using super high light and it works as long as you are willing to work with it and with smaller tanks the wpg rule doesn't really apply.

I wanted to find a eheim 2211/2011 which is the smaller version of the 2213 but if I didn't find one I was going to use the 2213 on mine too since I have one already. Mine came with ball valves/quick disconnects and I was gonna use that to turn it down but not by much along with adding extra filter floss to slow down the flow a bit. I did find a 2211 though so I won't be using the 2213.

I also thought about the AC20 too or even larger but replace the impellar with the AC20 or 30's to add to the total tank capacity and filtration media options.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I use a red sea nano filter, i love it and its silent. I also havea coralife mini that is the size of the tank, and its also perfect wattage wise for me.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have the eheim ecco 2232 on my ada mini-s (approx 2.5g) It works great. Simply choke it up at the return ball valve to get the flow right. Plus I am a big fan of g.c.o.o.t.t. Getting crap out of the tank. lol. Remember, with these small tanks, every inch matters. With the canister, I've managed to put the heater and Co2 mister inline.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would I have to get a fan? The light fixture would sit about 2 inches from the top of the tank.

How do I go about figuring out the lumen per square inch? I just want to know if 36w is too much for a 7 gallon tank.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts