The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know they are going to go at and attack each other to establish a pecking order, I know its gonna be hard to watch and I know I will need to medicate them.

I just need a little help on how to set it up.

The tank is going to be 10gallons, I am going to have plenty of plants and hiding spaces for them, and I am going to have it heated and filtered.

My Main question is do I medicate before they are placed in the tank, after, or wait until a pecking order is established?

Any other information would be highly appreciated as well.

Thankyou,
Rose
A.K.A.
neonqueenbetta​

·
Registered
652 Posts
If you see much damaged fins after the pecking order is established then put in some medication, but with any luck you won't even need meds.

I have breed bettas a few times and after their fins tend to be a little split and a bite or two taken out of the females, i have never had to medicate as the environment was perfect for them so they healed fast.

Males tend to be different and i have had to put in some meds. because of a little nip turning into full blown fin rot...

As a note- in a ten gallon there will always be a female with a bite taken out of her fin, just watch them closely and good luck!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
You are wanting to medicate them before they are even injured? No please don't do that. As stated above, wait and see what happens and then aquarium salt would probably work unless there are severe injuries, in which case you need to remove the fish and treat it seperately anyhow.

·
Registered
119 Posts
you shouldnt need to medicate them! IME, establishing the pecking order will end in some torn fins, and possibly a few hits to the body as well, but nothing the requires medication. I have a strict only treat if I see a disease policy, myself.

after this initial squabble, you wont really see much aggression between the girls, IME, just them putting eachother back in their place (its sort of like in a pack of dogs; the alpha will usually keep the others in line IME) and the only times you'll see real squabbles is if another girl tries to challenge the alpha, which will usually end in the challenger backing off soon after.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
You CANNOT put 6 female bettas in a 10G tank!!! These sororities only work with a large tank, 30 or more gallons. These tanks are also hit or miss and you need a backup plan in case it doesn't work out. The bettas have to all be added at the same time to avoid establishing a terriortory.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have to disagree with those that say you cant make a nice sorority in a 10; I had a very sucessful 10g sorority for some time, and their are countless others who have done the same.

with 4-6 girls in a 10, you just need to monitor them more closely and choose the girls you plan to add wisely, and always be ready to pull one if needed. a 10g is, however, the absolute minimum for a sorority, and it must be very heavily planted.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I agree that sororitys can be a hit or miss, but they can be done with 6 females in a 10 gallon. Just make sure there is lots of cover for them to hide, try to make 6 or more hide outs for them with toons of plants around that and you should be good.

Its also best if you can get all 6 girls from the same batch of fry or at least them all from the same tank at the store.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I tried to do this in a 14 gallon but i couldnt watch them shredding each others fins. i ended up putting them all in seperate tanks. i think a 15 long or 20 long would be better. please update this thread when you can. add pics if possible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts