The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 gal tank I would like to convert to a planted tank if possible. Right now it has koi in it but they are going outside to a pond. The substrate is like 25 lb. white sand and some eco-complete mixed in also a tiny bit of black gravel. I have some more eco-complete I can add when I drain the tank. Right now it has a sponge filter. I could use the sponge connected to a powerhead, or I have a whisper 60 filter or an emperor 400 filter (would prefer to use this) I could use. I am on a budget so I don't want to have to buy a lot of new equipment. Right now the light is a single tube flourescent but I also have a twin tube one and a powercompact Freshwater Aqualight by coralife. I have a brand new heater i can use. Do you think it would be possible to have a low tech planted tank with this equipment and substrate? Thanks so much for any help and suggestions!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Oh yea its totally possible if you choose your plants right. A low light tank for this size tank would be anything 2wpg or under for a 55gal thats 110 watts or less. Some plants do like very fertle substrate so you can just use some fert tabs for them. Do a search on this forum about low tech or low light plants, one of the threads in this section has a HUGE list of plants that do well in low light conditions. Your tank is awsome for a low tech just do some research on types of plants for your lighting conditions and plants that absorb nutrients in different ways and then choose whatever suits what you have or are willing to work with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.