The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been working on a planted nano tank for almost a year now (Marineland Contour 3G), trying to get everything stabilized and properly grown in so I can take it to work. For the first half of the year, it was plants only, and just recently, I added two Japonica (Amanos) to help with the algae. My first two were jumpers though. Found a way into the filter overflow area, and then out of the tank to god only knows where. So, I fixed the gap, and purchased another Japonica from a different store. Got him home and settled, but two days later, he wasn't eating and I noticed the tiniest little worm-like things swimming in the water. I'm guessing from research it's planaria?

I've used a turkey baster to blow air against the substrate and kick up a bunch of debris, which I've cleaned out. And literally, sat in front of my tank for hours sucking up each little swimmer I could find. I've seriously cut back on their numbers and my little one was out eating today. And I'll continue to clean for the next week.

I think my question here is, did they come from the store? It's been my experience that parasites don't just manifest in a sterile tank, but then again, I've never kept shrimp before. What do I need to know here? Are there other better treatments besides the water changes and vaccuuming the substrate and sucking up the little buggers?

And do I risk getting other Japonicas from this store? They're very hard to find in my area and I have to travel to get them. If I do, is there quarantine procedures for shrimp that I should follow?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
They could also be nematodes. Do they swim with an ess (s) shape? If so those are nematodes and if I am not mistaken they are harmless. Had them in my 10 and my 75. The ones in my 75 were eaten by espeis. I put the espei in the tank and as soon as I did they were on the nematodes, pretty cool to watch actually.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.