The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started on Sat dosing my shrimp tank. I got sage-guard 4 with fenbendazole as was suggested in several forums. It's a powder and lumpy and doesn't want to dissolve very well. I dosed about 0.2 grams Sat Sun and Mon. I turned the filter off last night because I was worried the med was all going in the filter and not in the tank. And NO there isn't any carbon in my filter. Most of the forums had people getting rid of their planaria after just a couple of days. What am I doing wrong? I need to do a big w/c it's over due, should I wait? Oh and YES I do regular w/c every 5 or 6 days. I know that I over feed a bit but my shrimp hide and they take a long while to find their food plate. Once they do tho they slurp it up.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
2 things come to mind.

1) Either you have nematodes/flatworms and not planaria as you suspect

2) the fenben in the med is expired.

Can you get a pic of the critter? Does it have a triangle head?

If determined to go ahead, look at E bay and get "fish bendazole" . It has the best active ingredient I have been able to find, and .1g per tenner works great.

It degrades in light, so be sure to turn out your lights while using it- although it seems to work regardless.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much Hun. I found some at amazon. These guys are so tiny I have no idea if they have triangle heads. They were all over one of my shrimp who was playing dead or was actually near dead. His eyes are still black and I moved him to the other side of the tank so I can watch him. How do I use this product? Do I put it straight into the tank or try to mix it with water to dissolve then put in tank?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do you feed fenben? The stuff I got, safe-guard, is coarse and doesn't dissolve well at all. Do I stuff a green bean or something and drop it in the tank? Is it safe for shrimp to eat? And how long do you dose for to get rid of it all even in the substrate?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I started on Sat dosing my shrimp tank. I got sage-guard 4 with fenbendazole as was suggested in several forums. It's a powder and lumpy and doesn't want to dissolve very well. I dosed about 0.2 grams Sat Sun and Mon. I turned the filter off last night because I was worried the med was all going in the filter and not in the tank. And NO there isn't any carbon in my filter. Most of the forums had people getting rid of their planaria after just a couple of days. What am I doing wrong? I need to do a big w/c it's over due, should I wait? Oh and YES I do regular w/c every 5 or 6 days. I know that I over feed a bit but my shrimp hide and they take a long while to find their food plate. Once they do tho they slurp it up.
I find this method pretty good

1 gram fenbendazole
200 ro warm water

Grind down your packet of med with rolling pin or PVC pipe in original bag (this breaks down the granules to powder)

Put in meds into a empty water bottle, pour warm water into bottle

Shake vigorously for about 10-15 mins continually until arms wear out

For every 10 gallon tank put in 10 ml in water and remaining 10 ml into different parts of the substrate. By doing the substrate part this will kill off any planaria hiding in the substrate. This is probably the reason why you keep finding planaria. Or you could be diagnosing the wrong worm.

Do this for three day and on the 4th day do a 50 percent water change with adding some kind of beneficial bacteria

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Or use Safe Guard, a goat de-wormer, fenbendazole in liquid form. Makes it much easier and it spreads around the tank instantly. I got rid of my planaria in all of my tanks and it a couple it took up to 5 days while in other tanks they were gone within 2. This was a few months ago I have not seen another planaria anywhere.

·
Banned
107 Posts
Fenben kills nematodes (roundworms), flatworms, segmented worms, and hydra; planaria are a flatworm. I agree that fish bendazole is the best bang for the buck for aquarium application. If you think you have nematodes I'd recommend treating a food with the fenben.
In my experience, fenben isn't as effective against nematodes and other round worms as it is with planaria the only flatworm I've encountered in my tanks. It does work, but it takes far more fenben to produce the same results I get against planaria. Perhaps because the nematodes stay sheltered in the substrate quite often. How do you usually apply fenben to food?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Main goal for planaria blast the fenbendazole in the substrate. Planaria tend to hide there cause of the low dose they get from the meds. So usually they survive. I had your problem more than once trying to figure out why the planaria survived while hydras died. Then I read article on planaria and hydras this guy put the remaining fenbendazole solution in different parts of the substrate and no more planaria

·
Registered
635 Posts
Soothing sometimes it helps. I had low substrate and only used the powder in the filter and worked. But some of my substrate was Linda too thick and planaria lived through the process.

Hydras are easier for me to kill. Idk why. I do the liquid solution way and shoot the liquid on the hydra they curls up real fast. I noticed when I shoot the remaining solution in the substrate the planaria surface to the glass

·
Registered
5 Posts
Or use Safe Guard, a goat de-wormer, fenbendazole in liquid form. Makes it much easier and it spreads around the tank instantly. I got rid of my planaria in all of my tanks and it a couple it took up to 5 days while in other tanks they were gone within 2. This was a few months ago I have not seen another planaria anywhere.
Garfieldnfish at what rate did you dose the liquid Safe-Guard Goat Dewormer?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.