The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to get a certain plant but the seller says that he has planaria. I've read on the net that this is very difficult to get rid of. I don't want to introduce a problem into my tanks. Besides the plant is quite expensive I have some Potassium Permanganate Will a Potassium Permanganate dip kill them?

· Banned
2,470 Posts
planeria are not really a problem imo. They wont thrive unless you overfeed and are unlikley to hitch on plants. They also kill snails by eating the eggs.

What type of plant is it?

· Registered
2,102 Posts
They are only bad in shrimp tanks imo. I have a few in my 55 but rarely see them due to fish snacking on them. In my shrimp tank it got real bad, these things gross me out in numbers, one here and there aint bad but in numbers they are nasty lil f***3rs.
I would think that PP or a bleach dip would work a straight shot of excel kills them too:)

· Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
planeria are not really a problem imo. They wont thrive unless you overfeed and are unlikley to hitch on plants. They also kill snails by eating the eggs.

What type of plant is it?
The plant in question is Mini Pellia. I have shrimp in my tanks so I don't want to take any changes.

I have read that PP is a great dip for crittes. Just not sure that Planeria is included in that grouping. Will PP KILL Planaria? I have heard of the dewormer but I have PP and hate to stock pile all kinds of chemicals.

· Premium Member
1,831 Posts
They are only bad in shrimp tanks imo. I have a few in my 55 but rarely see them due to fish snacking on them. In my shrimp tank it got real bad, these things gross me out in numbers, one here and there aint bad but in numbers they are nasty lil f***3rs.
I would think that PP or a bleach dip would work a straight shot of excel kills them too:)
i have a lot of planaria in my shrimp tank and dont notice a problem with them and the shrimp but i did notice i dont have many snails maybe 10 ramshorns at the most

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.