The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently switched out my flourite substrate for just plain black gravel because of how dirty the flourite was. It was always constantly a huge mess with lots of debris everywhere.

Well, now that I have just plain gravel, I need some tips on how to possibly give plants nutrients. I have used Flourish tabs in the past before, but they never really did anything it seems. I always hear about the osmocote tabs. Are these worth looking into and should I check into anything else?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I use O+ tabs in gel caps and have great results. Depending on the gravel I can see some individual pieces of O+ floating in the water column if care isnt taken but I cant say for sure because I use dirt in all of my low tech tanks.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Well, now that I have just plain gravel, I need some tips on how to possibly give plants nutrients.
It really depends on what plants you get. Stem plants I have gotten at a Pet Supermarket grow in gravel great.

I have heard of many whom grow plants in gravel. They dose more in the water than I do in my dirted tank. Ferts they have told me they use are CSM+B, Potassium sulfate, Potassium nitrate and Baking Soda. My breeding tank will be sand, which is inert as gravel, thus I shall find out what works.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Those are a good blend of ferts. They can get a bit expensive, though. You are paying for shipping water. Very little active ingredients. Go ahead and get one of each package, then save the bottles and buy the dry ingredients, mix your own. Good idea to keep each separate until you figure out how your tank responds, which balance of fertilizers it needs.

Nitrogen
Phosphorus
Potassium
...are the fertilizers that plants use the most of.

Traces (Flourish Comprehensive)
Iron
...are the fertilizers that plants use less of, but they need them.

Excel is a source of carbon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.