The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,

Lots of people asked me to show my new tank....
Here it is.

Introduction :
Marc showed wonderfull pictures of Mr Amano's tank in Japan. Rimless and on a nice cabinet with open top.
Link to this thread : http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14399

Well, to be short, I decided to build one and exchange the old big tank.
I bought some MDF ( wood), paint and a few tools and start building the stand.

5 minutes later :

10 minutes later :

Finished the woodwork with some grey paint and ordered a rimless tank.
Size 90 Gallons ( 360 litres) measuring 120 x 60 x 50 cm H.

Next day : testing day. See if it holds the 90 Gallons. Important, as Scolly can justify :icon_bigg (Sorry mate, I couldn't resist...)

Right, the lights where not ok. I decided to test several pendants and came up with 6 x 54 Watt T5 dimmable.
You can see this pendant in this thread : http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16792

in which I explained why I choose this type of lighting.

I threw in some wood, plants and gravel and let it all grow.
It didn't looked very nice but I needed time to collect the right plants, wood and rocks for my future aquascape. So, in the meantime the tank could mature a little bit.

The technique used, can be described as "High Tech". I wanted everything to control, just to make it easy for me.
Whats under the hood :

From left to right :
UV-lamp ( 11 Watt)
CO2-reactor ( Aquamedic 1000)
Eheim Pro II with internal heater
CO2 pressurized
Light computer ( for the dimmable T5 pendant)
CO2 computer / dosing computer
3x dosing pumps Aquamedic with liquid holders ( self made kitchen equipment)

Details are important, so look at the DYI outlet for the dosing tubes :

The aquascaping........ :icon_roll
Maybe the most important thing to do, but the clean empty tank looked already awfully nice in my house. Almost a shame to fill it with water and stuff :icon_bigg

But ok, here's an overview of the small steps in aquascaping land.

First the mature-tank-a-bit-with-plants :

Found some nice wood and rocks and changed the entire tank! Aqauscaping time!! :icon_bigg

I decided to go for the "island concept". Mmm, very difficult but worth to give it a try anyway.
The plants are growing very very fast.

Still, the total green lotus ( Nynpheae glandulifera) became one of my favourites and I wanted to give it more credit... Well, I moved the wood slightly to the left and made some free space.
Ahh, better I guess and here's the result after pruning and arranging some plants.

As for the health of the plants :

And what could do such a tank on brochure??
Well here's a test :

And last but not least, the water details etc of this tank. If any interesting at all :

- bottom : some clay and peat (only a little) with gravel on top
- PH 6,65 ( average)
- KH 4
- GH 5
- NO3 between 5 - 10 mg ( KNO3 dosing)
- PO4 0 - 0,1 ( PO4 dosing)
- fertilizer 1/2 dose a week
- water change 20% / week
- T 24 degrees C
Lights :
10.30 - 12.30 50% 4 T5
12.30 - 17.30 80% 6 T5
17.30 - 20.30 50% 4 T5
20.30 - 23.30 2% 2 T5 ( evening light )

Have fun, see you at AGA-show??

PJAN

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
PJAN - what a great thread! Let's see, what did you include?...

1) Assembly pics
2) Equipment pics
3) Growth progression pics
4) Artistic expression pics
5) Critical care and feeding details

I think that about covers it! But you don't dip your toe in the water... you jump right in! :proud:

The tanks looks great, and can't wait to see it in AGA! But after everyone stops "ooohing" and "aaahhing" I'll wager you are going to have an angry mop on your hands if you don't provide some mpre details on how to build that stand!

And the dosing pumps. You have three. Why? Love to know...

BTW - Between the tank, the stand, the lights, and the magnificent aquascape, you are where I ache to be. Great stuff friend! ;)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
=)

Ahh PJAN I see you finally got the pictures up! I almost missed it- been working more lately.

I really love the red paint under the hood! How did you get it to look so nice? did you have to prep the MDF a special way to make it looks so smooth and shiny! Maybe some primer?

Also, I know you had a problem with the floor being a bit unleveled- were you able to get around that?

Glad some of my pictures were able to inspire your project!

BTW I like 12-6-2006 aqua scape!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ Marc : the inspirator & MDF
Thanks again for the inspiration. Now you can see what it caused... :proud:

MDF painting : no special thing. 2x primer and 2x finishing coating. That's all.

The floor is indeed unleveled. Lucky me, this time only from the back-front and not horizontal ( front window view). The old big tank ( 178 Gallons + gravel, glass etc.etc.) caused also unleveling horizontal...maybe too much weight on the floor after all... :icon_frow
I leveled the stand by putting some extra strokes of carpet in the front. It is still not perfect, but on pictures you can't see it.

Although you maybe like the 12-6-2005 aquascape, you should see the last aquascape 23-06-2005 mature a bit.... Due to heavy pruning it hasn't got it's final look and it will be better. I hope... :icon_bigg

@ Scolly : Dosing pumps

The 3 dosing pumps are for KNO3, PO4 and fertilizer. I can tweak seperately the ferts this way. But I don't use it right now, it's more for holidays etc.

Well, the stand.... use your imagination Scolly.... :icon_bigg
I think something must stay a mystery...

@ Snailpro : foreground plant

The forground plant is Hemianthus callitrichoides ( HC). Easy grower but rather slow. It will spread not as fast as Glosso.

Gr. PJAN

·
Registered
355 Posts
scolley said:
But after everyone stops "ooohing" and "aaahhing" I'll wager you are going to have an angry mop on your hands if you don't provide some mpre details on how to build that stand
I'll second that.
Also , are those ADA Lilly Pipes you are using for the Eheim input/output?
Overall, neat and clean look, nothing superfluous inside and out. Well done.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Well, once again, PJAN, that is absolutely gorgeous. I'm curious what kind of fish you have in it? Also, good move to shift the driftwood to the left. Looks better there.

I'll just keep dreaming of a 120 some day.... Ah....

·
Registered
670 Posts
Great tank and stand! I have two questions:

- Where did you get that tank? All the tanks I can find around here all have two horizontal pieces of glass fixed to the inside top of the front and back panes to keep the glass from bowing. I want to find a tank without that...

- Re the stand, it's just the sides of the stand that are supporting the tank? What's supporting it in front?

Thanks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Laith said:
Great tank and stand! I have two questions:

- Where did you get that tank? All the tanks I can find around here all have two horizontal pieces of glass fixed to the inside top of the front and back panes to keep the glass from bowing. I want to find a tank without that...

- Re the stand, it's just the sides of the stand that are supporting the tank? What's supporting it in front?

Thanks.
Laith : Rimless tanks
Some info on the tank ( glass).
Rimless means that the front glass will bow. It is important to get thick glass because the extra mm's have to act as a small "rimm".

The height - length - width are important how thick the glass must be.
My tank ( 120 x 60 W x 50 H ) has 12 mm thick glass.
My tank manufacturer ( I know him well) was sort of hesitating about 60 cm height, but he beleived it will work also with 60 cm height ( and 120 cm length).
If I choosed a different tank ( say 120 x 45 W x 60 H , like Amano does), 12 mm would be enough. Also smaller tanks ( 100 x 60 x 60 can use 12 mm glass).
So my tank size is a bit on the "border" here.

If you choose to have a tank of 120 x 60W x 60H cm, you better can have 18 mm thick glass to be on the safe side.

Important
The thicker the glass, it gets a "green" look. If you use thick glass and want the best, you have to order "optical white" glass which is expensive ( low iron).
My experience ( greenish look, clear view etc.) :

12 mm glass normal = ok
12 mm optical white = very good

18 mm glass normal = bad
18 mm optical white = very good

tank manufacturer

You have to find a local manufacturer ( Internet, Yellow Guide, or big Local Fish Store) and explain your wishes. Also normally they are using in Switzerland ( or Germany) "black silicon". It's a matter of taste of course, but you can also ask for transparent silicon as I did.
Also make clear what you want ( e.g. 12 mm thick glass, rimless, optical white if you wish).
This kind of tank is rather expensive due to the thicker glass...If you choose "optical white" ( I would recommend that), it will almost double the price.

Since you're living in Switzerland... I think you can shop around in Swizz, Germany or Italy... I know the price of optical white is cheaper in Germany than in Holland for example.

Rest of all the questions

- stand
- lilly pipes
- fishes etc..

will be answered later. I have to look for some pictures....

Gr. PJAN

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The stand

As you can see on this picture, the top board is placed on the back and the side to give it strength and prevent bending. The sides and back is placed on the bottom board.

But first you have to saw the holes in the side panels before gluing and fix things.... :

The front of the top board is not fixed - yet. So to prevent bending I choose to use two innner planks. One for leaning the door against and the front for cosmetic reasons of course.

I used an inner frame-work to give the total construction more securiness and prevent bending in the middle. Also the inner frame is used for the doors to lean against it.

Here's a drawing how it looks like :

In real it looks like this :

You can see the front board and a small piece of the back board. The inner frame is clearly visible.

Yin-Yang of the stand

This stand is desined to make the tank balance perfect. It is a sort of Chinese beleive if you balance things, it will be good.
So I made everything perfect in balance.....the yin-yang thing :proud:

What I did :
- same amount of screws used front/bottom/top
- placed exactly at the same spot left / right / front / back
- the holes ( for hoses tubes etc) : left and right the same
- I needed on extra hole for the electricity-wire : I made two holes to balance things again.....
- the space around the doors is exactly 3 mm (Japenese / Chinees people avoid the number 4 ...)

The inner-side of the stand is also Yin-Yang :
Left = wet compartiment
Right = dry compartiment

As you can see on this picture, everything what has something to do with water ( pump, CO2-reactor, UV-lamp, hoses etc.) is placed on the left.
The expensive computers and other equipment is placed on the right.

The right compartiment has more metal so I placed the scissors etc on the left door to balance the metal.....( call me a freak... :icon_bigg )

The bottom inner frame plank divides the two compartiments and it has function : to avoid wet crossing the border of dry... If you clean your filter, there will be some spilling of water...and this plank prevents water to flow into the computer-things etc...

The paint-colors : also yin-yang....
Innerside is red = mother earth (magma)
Outerside is grey = grey outer sky..

The end result is a clean look of the stand, balanced :

Well, have fun!
Gr. PJAN

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
PJAN - That is awesome! :proud:

I just wish I had seen this months ago before I started work on my own stand :icon_frow - would have been major inspiration!

Did you assemble the outer portion first, then insert the inner planks. And how did you attach them to the outer planks? Screws and glue?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
scolley said:
PJAN - That is awesome! :proud:

I just wish I had seen this months ago before I started work on my own stand :icon_frow - would have been major inspiration!

Did you assemble the outer portion first, then insert the inner planks. And how did you attach them to the outer planks? Screws and glue?
Hahaha : well, I built this stand in 10 minutes... ( well actually a week, including painting).
So if you're going to watch the full tank in your garden for a week, you can easily built one :proud:

Planks are fixed with construction glue and screws. First put some screws in, get it out, glue the planks, screw it together.

Gr. PJAN

1 - 20 of 64 Posts