The Planted Tank Forum banner

Would you go down this route in my shoes?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving into a new place around August 1st and decided I think I want to design a paludarium for the first time (check sig for past tanks, also have a reef tank).

Rather than pay $600+ for a ~36x18x18" glass tank...I think I might laser cut something out of 10mm acrylic. This way, I could have a totally lightweight, custom setup with any plumbing holes easily cut (for <$100). And I have access to a large, premium cutter.

Given it's a paludarium, that extra height on the front panel just gets in the way anyway. And this setup is not supporting the water weight of an aquarium. Kind of seems like an ideal application of acrylic.

Laser cut tank example:
Potential model: DOOA NEO GLASS TERRA H36

Initial thought is ~36x24x18" with the front panel coming up ~8" but I suppose that may be unrealistic...the acrylic may need brackets/a rim. Or maybe not! It's not like I would have 36x24x8" of water (30gal)...it would be more like ~30x10x6" (~8gal). So 10mm acrylic with interlocked corners (and avoiding leaning heavy rocks on back panels, or just have rim on back panel)...might be safe.

My dimensions will probably cater to an effective stand solution (like the IKEA IVAR 32x20x33!)

What do you guys think? Ideas on dimensions and stands? Plumbing scheme?

A 30" panel of 10mm interlocked acrylic shouldn't have a problem with 8-10 gallons of water, right? Maybe small rim on the taller back panel (or bracket pattern). Don't lean 50lb rocks against it...

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Hmmm...well my first question, is why do you want to laser cut your acrylic? You could just as easily cut out panels, and apply acrylic glue to the pieces to get the tank shape you want instead of laser cutting a panel. I'm not seeing what the pros/con are of DIYing your own acrylic tank vs. DIYing and laser cutting your acrylic for a tank.

My second question, is why not use a 40 Breeder, which has similar dimensions (36x18x16), and which you can buy for $50-$100 from Petco depending on the time you buy it ($50 during the half off sale, formerly known as the $/gallon sale).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hmmm...well my first question, is why do you want to laser cut your acrylic? You could just as easily cut out panels, and apply acrylic glue to the pieces to get the tank shape you want instead of laser cutting a panel. I'm not seeing what the pros/con are of DIYing your own acrylic tank vs. DIYing and laser cutting your acrylic for a tank.
Easier to cut out panels and holes with a laser cutter and more structurally sound (due to interlocks) than supergluing flat surfaces.

"Why not use a Petco 40B?" [Moderator edit - don't have to be a jerk to others] Because there's a big difference (to me) between rimless and 20-24" of depth vs. rim and 18" of depth. Also, most noticeably, I don't want a big/unnecessary panel of glass at the front of the tank blocking the main part of the paludarium (that's out of the water).

Cutting is as simple as drawing a circle (don't need to buy a drill bit) and the cut is cleaner.

The narrative for this setup isn't "$50 paludarium challenge!" ...just spending effectively

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.