The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fam and I went to the plant nursery to get some carolina reaper plants, got some riparium plants and also grabbed a small pitcher plant. I was teaching my kids about carnivorous plants and we were planning a trip to the local bog, but here we have own bog plant. I know they need:
-acidic substrate with little nutrients
-high humidity

Will they tolerate harder tap water? Or distilled water a must?

Can I put it in a fish bowl with inert rocks and peat moss??

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Carnivorous plants are native to many locations in the world. Most are indeed native to bog or marsh areas with very low nutrients and very low minerals in the water. Unless you know for sure which species and which variety I would assume distilled, reverse osmosis or rain water is required. Some are native to areas where it gets quite cold, and they go dormant. They need this dormant period. Others are native to milder winter areas, and do not tolerate freezing temperatures.

Pitcher plants are not under water plants. If you mean a fish bowl with little or no water, just damp peat moss, or a peat and sand/perlite blend, that could work. Make sure the water stays fresh. A pot with drainage and a deep saucer might work better. You can soak the plant as needed, then dump the water out of the saucer so it does not go bad.
Rocks are not a problem as long as they are not a limestone or related material. You can test this by placing the rocks in some distilled water and monitoring the GH, KH, pH and TDS (if you have a meter) over several days. If there is no change, then the rocks are safe.

Here is a lot more info about these plants:
https://www.californiacarnivores.com/

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! I was thinking of a planted fish bowl, not filled with water. Just enough to keep it alive and humid in the bowl. Looks like distilled water is the way to go.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
Most people also think the carnivorous plants all grow in humid tropical or subtropical areas. The Venus Fly Trap for one actually grows in the Carolinas.

Reactions: Veritas

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I'd suggest trying to find out what type of pitcher plant you have. Nepenthes, Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, or Cephalotus.

Nepenthes are the easiest in my opinion, as they don't go dormant.

Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.