The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
An ideal plant for a paludarium or vivarium, Piptospatha has a beautiful spathe and leaf. According to Peter C. Boyce, who is an honorary director at the International Aroid Society - this plant is a new species. http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Peter-Boyce/4832707 It might get a scientific name - Piptospatha sp crispinoae. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
gorgeous plant! How does this one propagate? does it have a rhizome?
Thanks for the compliment. I have this plant for over a year and it hasn't formed a baby/rhizome. In the wild, it propagates by spreading its seeds through water splashes on the spathe and water current. The old spathe (it looks like a cup) have seeds that are beginning to germinate.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
There are some tiny flies in the tank, I hate them but if they pollinate the Piptospatha they can stay.

thats how someone i know pollinates crypts. he releases fungus gnats/fruit flies into a flat. in my old setup i had fungus gnats pollinating my plants...
does this mean you had two mature plants flowering at the same time? or was it self pollination?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats how someone i know pollinates crypts. he releases fungus gnats/fruit flies into a flat. in my old setup i had fungus gnats pollinating my plants...
does this mean you had two mature plants flowering at the same time? or was it self pollination?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're right, those are fungus gnats (I forgot the name of that ugly bug). I have had two mature flowers at the same time from one plant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts