The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I've been doing the planted thing and started a new one in a used 5.5 gal. It has an old hood with 2 incandescent bulbs that I've replaced with 2 10W Coralife Mini Compact Colormax.

I'd read they might have a pinkish hue and felt okay with a hue. As of right now, my tank is hot pink. I wish I was kidding...

Would anyone know of a screw-in mini compact fluorescent that's decent for plants and doesn't look this... rockabilly? That can either be sold in Canada or be shipped to Canada.

Thanks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I know what you mean by pink.

I had the same response to mine when I got it. I lived with it for a while but my plants didn't seem to be doing any better than they were before so I changed bulbs. I just went to Lowes and got a full spectrum 5000K spiral bulb. I know they aren't very efficient but it works for me and my plants.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I checked out Walmart but the Montreal version doesn't seem to have an extenstive pet department... couple plastic plants and buckets of cat litter thrown about... I'm at least glad I haven't planted anything in yet.

I found this online though... anyone ever used it?

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/15397/product.web

It's 5,100k - I could mix and match with a 10k bulb

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm using an Eclipse sprial bulb I got from my LFS before I noticed the GE daylight ones at wally-world. It was about $15 IIRC, but looks great in the tank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I went and bought daylight bulbs... switched it in...

I prefer the pink. The harscape is build out of amethyst rock, with the pink light it gives it an eerie look of fiery mauves and oranges. I understand most of you enjoy the natural look more, but I think I'll give it a try.

Thank you for the help though, it's good to know I'll have some helpful people to turn to when poo inevitably hits the fan :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.