The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im about to get some new bulbs for my 55g T5HO fixture and I have seen a few sellers offering these pink "plant bulbs". Do these make any difference? Would there be any advantage in running 2 of the pink bulbs with 2 6500K's instead of just 4 6500K's?

·
Are these real?
15,740 Posts
If there's no real advantage to the pink bulbs I'll just stick with the 6500K
I think differences are mainly for the viewer. Some prefer yellow/green tanks, others crisp/washed out higher K bulb setups, and then some like to use pink bulbs to offset the green hue. Pure personal preference.

Pink ones sure make red and dark green plants "pop" (and often fish as well).

Personally I hate all 6500K. In my 2-bulb fixtures I usually mix one pink bulb with a 6500K bulb. For bigger tanks, I add some 10000K bulbs to the mixture.

6500K makes light green plants look very nice. So if this is your foreground for example, put one of those in front, and try a pink one in the back for darker/red plants. Higher K bulbs and pink ones tend to wash out light green plants.

Also, if pink is too pink for you, there are some bulbs like Hagens Powerglo that are more purple.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.