The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i ran across some pink danios in my LFS. Is there any way to tell if they are GloFish or if they have been dyed? Do the two look different? I live in California and GloFish are illegal but i know that in LA if something is illegal you can still usually find it. So, is there any way to tell if they are genetically bred or dyed? I would be interested in getting some of they are genetically created globefish but not if they are dyed.

·
Prodigious Plant Pundit
5,403 Posts
I live in California and GloFish are illegal but i know that in LA if something is illegal you can still usually find it.
LOL I laughed so hard on that one!

And they do sound like glofish... I've never seen dyed danios. They were zebra danios, right?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The pink Danio in the stores are the pink Glow fish. Its the only one they have been able to get in with out any questions. I have one in my daughters tank and its been in there for 7 months now. If it was dyed it would have faded by now.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why are Glo fish illegal? It would seem like a great alternative to dyed fish, and they don't seem any more threatening to escape into the wild or whatever than regular danios (and they'd probably die/get eaten faster anyway).

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I don't know why they are illegal.. they are required to make all fish leaving their farms sterile so they cannot reproduce. Well I do know why... Go on their site... basically it says California would allow it if they filed the proper paperwork and got the proper documents and followed the right laws... And payed the right fees. But they don't want to because they think its too expensive and too much of a headache...

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I don't get why california is so scared about GM fish...or GM organisms in general. GM is basically the same as accelerated selective breeding but better. The corn we all eat is the product of GM. In the wild it can't survive because its seeds are so densely concentrated and have no way of spreading themselves. So when the cob hits the ground and sprouts all the sproutlings emerge and outcompete themselves to death. The original corn was much like rice or wheat.

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
cool. thanks for all the info! i think i may get a school of them. how many do you think i can get for a 29gal that has 10 tiger barbs?
I had 30+ with other fish, total head count was 120+, in a 29G.
oxygen is not a big problem, just increase aeration or pump air. the challenge is the bio-load, it is either heavily planted tank or good size filter to keep the water clean.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had 30+ with other fish, total head count was 120+, in a 29G.
oxygen is not a big problem, just increase aeration or pump air. the challenge is the bio-load, it is either heavily planted tank or good size filter to keep the water clean.
wow, that is more fish than i was planning.... the tank WILL be heavily planted but it is still growing in and i have two aquaclear 30s running. I was thinking between 10 and 20. It also depends on how much they cost. i forgot to check when i was there

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Noticed New Mixture Color

Today I noticed light purple(lavender) ones, possibly from Cosmic Blue and Red Glofish cross-breeding. I've also noticed there are Giant Danios and long-fin breeds of glofish.

·
Canon pimp #002
4,600 Posts
There are purple Glo-fish... they are the newest ones created. And Glo-fish aren't sterile... not sure where everyone is getting that. They put fluorescence genes in the original glo-fish... the glo-fish that we buy are all off spring, nothing has been added to them. However since it is a gene instead of injected color the parents pass it on the the offspring, and the color does not fade.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.