The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a search, I cant seem to find anything about this.

I have some bright pink algea growing on the suction cup for my thermometer. Atleast I think its algea, its definetly spreading, but not to the silicone tank seams yet. Its not on anything but the suction cup.

Is it even algea? Or maybe just a chemical reaction changing its color? I have the same suction cups in 3 other tanks, under the same basic conditions and there are all still clean and clear.

Thanks!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I don't have anything pink in my aquariums, but I do get a pink buildup on my shower head and some other areas in my shower. I believe it is a buildup of fluoride that is added to the drinking water. I wonder if that's what you're experiencing. I've never heard of algae that isn't green, black or brown in freshwater aquariums.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've seen pink cyanobacteria in saltwater tanks before, but I don't think I've ever seen it in a freshwater system.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, here's a photo of it. Any thoughts now? The cup is upside down now, the darker side was up.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm thinking more of a chemical reaction than anything. I have the same thermometer but my cup is black not white. Maybe take it out and scrub it clean.

I'm wierd, I'd smell it before cleaning it to see if it gives off an odor.

When in doubt, get a new thermometer. I think that one is like $4.50 at petco.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It does look just like sw cyano, but it could be something else. I know that yeast can be pink, but idk about that in an aquarium.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts