The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a couple days ago I noticed one of my tetra looking like a pinecone and honestly it was creepy as heck to look at. I googled it and I guess it's a dropsy thing? Well I just noticed another fish starting to do the same thing with a big bulge on his underside.is there a cure?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
250 Posts
The bacteria that causes it is in every fish aquarium , but fish with healthy immune systems don't normally get it. Its only when your fish are stressed out/unhealthy that then they become susceptible to it. Best thing to do is move it hospital tank and treat, Since something in the main tank is stressing it out.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Check all parameters, see if there is a problem in the water, and do water changes. Include vacuuming the substrate the best you can. Some bacteria hang out in this debris, and that debris makes treating the fish harder, if you have to treat the main tank.

Dropsy is one side effect of several diseases. Once the fish is that badly affected, even if you cure the underlying problem (bacterial, viral or other) the internal damage has gone too far.

Ditto moving the fish to a hospital tank.
Add Epsom salt to help relieve the swelling.
You can try an antibiotic, and hope you have targeted the right problem. Make sure the antibiotic is one that will get into the fishes' system, most will enter the fish through the gills, or you can feed an antibiotic food.

As noted by Double T most fish disease bacteria are already in most tanks, and the fishes' immunity is keeping them healthy. But some kind of stress has weakened their immunity and allowed the disease to get hold. One of the easiest things to correct is to do plenty of water changes, even if the parameters show that things are OK. There may be something building up that we do not test for.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well if it's already too late for this guy then I'm just going to get rid of it, no use in medicating something that's already too far gone, but I'll do back to back water changes of 50 percent on my tank tonight.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 7 of 7 Posts