The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 125 gallon boiactive terrarium. In it I have wild soils so anything that had eggs or was alive has stayed. I house a variety of plants in it, however my plants are dropping due to a massive number of pill bugs who call my terrarium home. I have been looking for ways to control their population naturally but with no prevail. Looking for suggestions...

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
pill bugs eat decaying matter not live plants. Are you sure they are the reason for your problems? Dart Frog tanks purposely add these guys as part of the clean up crew.

Anyway a natural way to control population is to get a lizard that eats them. If you don't want to go down that road you can start with a water dish, the little guys are good at drowning themselves.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pill bugs eat decaying matter not live plants. Are you sure they are the reason for your problems? Dart Frog tanks purposely add these guys as part of the clean up crew.

Anyway a natural way to control population is to get a lizard that eats them. If you don't want to go down that road you can start with a water dish, the little guys are good at drowning themselves.

This is a photo of them in the corner currently munching my cat palm and I have tried the water dish already and they seem to be in such large numbers it has no real effect

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
My guess is there isn't any leaf litter in this tank or anything not alive they could eat?

Well if you can move any animal out of the tank for a bit you can set up a CO2 bomb. This is where you basically build a volcano like when you were a kid out of vinegar and baking soda, only instead of letting it overflow and make a mess you put it in a big enough container to hold the foam. Assuming the only access is the top of the tank (and not down low) then you are good to go. This will generate co2 which is heavier then air and gas any animal in the tank. You will need to replenish any beneficial clean up crew in the tank as they will all die, but you will take out the isopods as well. Google CO2 bomb for more details.

·
Registered
127 Posts
There are some species of isopod that WILL eat live plants, IF there's nothing else around for them to eat. At this point, I think you can either pick them off as you see them (and throw them outside, or freeze, or smash, or feed 'em to something else)... or go with the CO2 bomb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.