The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever hear about or use the Pierce CO2 Starter Package? It look like an attractive compact alternative to the bulky CO2 tank. I am thinking about starting a planted tank in a BioCube 29 I'm about to get from a friend.

·
Super Moderator
11,971 Posts
Those kind of CO2 cartridges are really only suited for the smallest nano tanks (say 5 or 2.5 g). As Down Shift mentioned, they will not last very long at all, and the cost for the new CO2 cartridges will accumulate quite quickly.

Finally, refill costs for (say) a 5 lb or a 10 lb tank are usually nearly the same.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, I'm a little intimidated by the CO2 tank, am I just being a wuss, are they dangerous?

What kind of CO2 setup would be appropriate for my BioCube 29, I'd prefer not to spend $200.

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
CO2 set ups are not dangerous.

The gas is relatively safe, and the equipment is easy to use.

The only real danger is the pressure the gas is under in the bottle. Even then, securing the bottle to prevent a fall over and general care when handling the bottle should eliminate any less than safe situations.

The unit you selected would work. You might find that you use quite a few refills, making the system a little expensive to operate. Do a little more searching, you should find something that will work for you for under $200 fairly easily.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts