The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guppy is laying in the bottom of my net which I placed in the top of the tank to seperate it from the rest of the fish. I put some floating plants overtop of the fish to help keep it clam. He's laying on his back and gasping. His tail is completely shredded. I don't have a lot of time to do much for him this morning (I have to leave in 15 minutes to be at school on time and my parents sure wouldn't do anything about him.)

Any ideas on what to do to keep him alive? I think he's stressed, very stressed.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
If he's still alive when you get home, place him in a smaller tank with salt to encourage healing. Honestly, though, that doesn't sound very likely...it may be kinder just to euthanize the fish.

By the way, pictus cats are predators that are infamous for eating guppies and which need to be in groups of 6 or more, so I'd rehome the cat before any more incidents occur.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have a single Pictus cat, and he made snacks out of the (very tiny) Cory's I had originally bought for my one tank. I have stopped further problems by getting bigger Cory's and making sure after lights out I drop in a few big pellets that only he can really eat.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankfully my guppy is alive. I'm going to slowly transition him over from the tank water (which has MelaFix in it to help the guppy's previous fin rot) into clean water and then add salt from there. It's a surprise that he has made it this far.

The pictus will be rehomed to my 55 gallon in which no fish are under 3 inches. I can't move them yet for fear of spreading (possible) ick into my main tanks, something I never want to do again. For now, though, I have to hope my mollies can pull though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.