1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
84 Posts
that picture definitely does them no justice...I only have 12 and most schooling fish don't exhibit true schooling behavior unless there are far more than that... I will try and get a picture of them later tonight, but I can't make any promises as to how well it will come out. The size of my tank is definitely the limiting factor, it's only 4 ft long.

Joe Cannon

·
Registered
592 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Rummy nose

Sorry - just tried that link and it is NOT what I copied from my browser... Don't know what happened or why!

Go to ADA - Gallery - One. 2nd row from the bottom, middle picture. That's what I linked!

Kathy

·
Registered
830 Posts
rummy noses are beautiful. I have 7 of them along with 12 neons (plan on adding 12 more soon), and they are awesome. Great color, and they love schooling with the neons. They are in the open almost all the time, and are really active, and fun to watch. They aren't so active that they distract your eyes though.

Get 'em!

·
Registered
84 Posts
After numerous attempts, I could not get a picture of more than 2 of them together. I'm not adept at photography to say the least.

sorry

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
How many are you interested in the picture? I haven't gotten around to it, but will do so in this coming week.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
About to leave town, but here's a couple of pictures for you (they're really crappy...I'll take some other ones next week when I have more time).

Side of tank where they love to congregate:

A closer shot of the school:

·
Registered
349 Posts
IMHE, I found out w/ schooling fish.

>7 the fish don't school and they turn on each other to stake out a territory
7<13 they try to school, but they give up and hide or stake out an area again.
13<18 they will school, but you need a semi-aggressive fish to promote it.
18< This seems to be my magic number. They just school without any help needed.

HTH

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Eric, what's with the cloudy water? CaCO3? :)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Where did you get those rummies from eric?

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Good eyes, Sha. :) The water is green due to green water. I threw the tank out of balance (just take some ferts and be very liberal with it) so that I can have a bit of it for raising some food for the killifish fry. I finished with that and brought the tank back into balance. Here's a couple more pictures of the rummynoses:

Right side where I feed the tank; the fish really like to congregate in this area and the altums love to hang on this side of the tank. Rummies are schooling in the background:

Ray, the rummies are from the Central Valley. Picked up the pack @ $1.40 each, which isn't bad. They're captive bred, so I was happy to pay that amount. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts