The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by the thread-My pico

I tried a bunch of small stuff all around my house, and came up with these.
One is the cap to the cap of a sports drink bottle-would be great if it was clear. Could you imagine fert doses? So, how much excel should i put into 5ml?

I used a single strand of java moss for plants

The second one is the top of a plastic box i had. It turned out cool, but i don't know how long sunset hygro will last-emersed.
I did iwagumi style with..............PEICES OF GRAVEL!
then i planted java moss as a grass.

I tried some african cichlid fry, but felt sorry for em so i put them back.

Both these were lit by a 7w compact flourescent from my red sea aquavase.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fun stuff, but no filters. I geuss the plants act as a good filter though.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think so, unless i get rid of my redclaw crab tank, and find somewhere good to put this one. I have too many tanks to start another nano.(plus if i get rid of my crabs, i can get a 2.5 cherry breeder.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Now that's small! I bet it was fun working in such tight conditions eh?

Edit: I was thinking about using one of those plastic display cases used for the beanie babies (anyone remember those haha) or the display case for a car model, turned upside down of course.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Huh! tweezers can be a life saver sometimes.actually, to catch the fry back out, i used the first"tank" attached to the tweezers.Multi use aquarium? or peice of trash?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't you think the fish is really not confortable in there?

I woudn't put any animal there...

·
Registered
269 Posts
That second one is good, but only for Flora and not Fauna as not big enough for a fauna, unless you were to add something like a shrimp tiny rasbora.

You can use Beanie Baby Boxes - They make excellent Juvenile Fighter grow out tanks. And planted up they look really nice.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't you think the fish is really not confortable in there?

I woudn't put any animal there...
I took them out after about 10 minutes, they really didn't like it, but i'm sure they liked not having giant fish trying to eat them!
They are hybrid cichlids, and therefore i didn't want to start up the growout tank for them if they were gonna grow up to be unwanted everywhere.

For fauna: i was thinking freshwater copepods(scuds) would be neat if i could get ahold of some.

·
Registered
12 Posts
He's in an aquarium with gigant fishes trying to eat him? Or you'r talking about is NATURAL environment?...

Why don't you try to put some shrimps, like Red Cherrys?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
actually, the cherries would look HUGE in there. the cichlids are about 3 days out of the mouth.

They are in a 55 gallon african cichlid community. They are also hybrids, which if sold and let breed, are bad for the hobby as they screw up bloodlines, so i am not protecting them in a seperate tank for them to growout. if they make it in my tank, i'll keep them, but if not...no huge loss.

·
Registered
514 Posts
second tank looks great, it doesn't need fuana. Once (if) the java most grows out it'll be nice. Have you though about trying bocopa for the emerse growth?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no, I should try it, i need to get some for my 10 gallon too. My lfs carries some kind of bacopa sometimes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts