The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This white thing floats at the surface. It doesnt move. It doesnt grow. It just sits in clusters and floats around. Each piece in the cluster is identical to the other. When I scoop it all out, in a few days, the top is covered with this white stuff again! I dont know what's making it or what it is! Help :)

·
Registered
562 Posts
do you have a cover over your tank? any cats? what's your ceiling doing? it kinda looks like inorganic material to me, which speaks of dust from the ceiling, or possibly styrofoam. Just a guess, though. I could be very, very wrong.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no purigens, no filter additives. no cover over my tank and no cats. the ceiling is uniform so i dont think anything would fall from it like a popcorn type ceiling would. i also have no styrofoam laying around that could fly in there. the only plants i have in there are the jungle vals and java fern.

this is really weird. lol :D

·
Registered
695 Posts
wow that looks weird . Could it be eggs or something? Copepods ? check out
Code:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/shrimp/40061-whats-bug-how-recognize-them.html

·
Banned
582 Posts
Too me they look like betta or some gourami species' eggs minus the bubblenest.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Too me they look like betta or some gourami species' eggs minus the bubblenest.
I second that.... you wouldn't happen to have either in the tank, would you?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i only have guppies and endlers. Oh, and 1 plecostemus and 1 corydoras. This was scary when i first saw them, but then i was relieved that i could have you guys identify it. But now.. i'm beginning to get scared again. haha

i grabbed out about 100 the other day.. next day, still empty, next day still empty.. next day 100 more! :O

·
Registered
298 Posts
have you tried holding a few in between your fingers and crushing them? Try to find some way to crack one open and see what is inside. I had that happen awhile back too in my covered cherry tank.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Agreed, it could only be. They've initiated their plan...

Seriously though, let them go and see what comes of it... That's the sure way to find out!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow 2 pages and no definate answer.....surprised no one else has seen this before
Its from the val you have in there, i use to have that when i had vals in my tank, i think its just spores or seeds from the plant.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts