The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 60P (60L, 17 gal) tank has been running for close to two months. It's cycled, but is home to nothing but hitchhiker snails and plants so far. I'm struggling to decide what fish to keep...I feel like a good-sized shoal of a small fish would look nice. Part of me also would like some variety. I can build a lid for the tank if I need to. I kept tetras and danios as a teenager, so part of me wants to try something different.

Tank parameters:
pH: 6.0-6.4
GH: 2-4 (naturally 1, but I use Seachem Equilibrium to raise it a bit for the plants)
KH: 1-2
Temp: 74 F now in winter (would be 68 w/o the heater); will probably go up to 78-79 in summer

I'll be adding more plants in a month or so. Excuse the weirdly-pink lighting; it doesn't look like that in person. Some fish I'm inclined toward: pseudomugil rainbows, chocolate or valliant gouramis, apisto borellii (leaning away from this though; I feel my tank is not big enough for a pair/trio and one by himself might be lonely and not as colorful). I'm very open-minded about the fish though...open to ideas! I'd like to keep something a little less commonplace. Thanks for your ideas, everyone!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Cool tank. I'd add a heater and some chili rasboras. You could easily keep 20=25 of them because they're so tiny, or go with 10 of them and leave room for some others.
They will appreciate the soft and low ph water you have going on. Some Taiwan Bee type shrimp would also be really happy in there.

·
Registered
782 Posts
First off, very nice scape.

If you want something unique, a group of a dozen to 15 or so pea puffers would do great in there; they are super fun, attractive, curious, and are very interactive with their keepers (they will even follow you around the room watching).

If you want to stick to schooling fish, the chilis would look good, as would ember tetras.

If you add a lid, sparkling gourami could be really neat too, and I think about 15 could fit comfortably.

I know you said you had danios before, which I assume meant the popular zebras, but have you seen pearl danios? Once settled in, they are a pearly pink with iridescent blue sheen, and are very pretty. You could probably do about 10 in there, which would bring a lot of movement to the tank.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tank looks great, i personally like neon tetras though. I would suggest you get some algae eaters such as a Siamese algae eater. Overall though, the tank looks great. Make sure you've cycled your tank though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would go with a 12-20 Cardinal Tetra for their glowing color among your scape and Siamese algae eating fish and a few Anno shrimp and enjoy it. Look great

1 - 5 of 5 Posts