The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Looks like staghorn and maybe bba. How consistent is that diy co2, and what is your fertilizer regimen?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a bubble a second is the norm. I replace it every 2 weeks. A fresh bottle will give ne two bubbles peers second for a couple of days. By the the second week its a solid 1 bubble a second. No ferts being dosed, 26 watts total lighting from two spiral compact bulbs. 3 tetras occupy the tank and are fed every other day. The tank has been running about a month and a half.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
Water change wont help.

To the poster that asked about how constand the OP's DIY co2 was, were you serious? ;)

DIY co2, no matter how well set up is at best inconsistent.

It looks like you have BBA or stag horn which could both be contributed to low/inconsistent co2 levels.

The only way to get rid of the issue is to nuke it with H2O2 (peroxide) or Flourish Excel. To do this you need either product and a syringe. Turn off all circulation equipment, spot treat (cant remember the amounts for H2O2 but with excel you can dose 2x's the recommended amount the first day then what the bottle says on day 2-till your done, normally 3 days), and let sit for 1-2 hours then turn on your filter again.

Then to keep the algae from coming back you will either need to reduce lighting/raise lighting/shorten photo period if you want to keep the DIY co2 or just bite the bullet and get pressurized co2.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
Agree with Bsmith... if you could put the fish in another tank for a week you could dose large amounts of H2o2 and Excel.
That would be the safest route but its not necessary. At those levels (with Excel) you might end up killing the plants too. :icon_eek:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
At those levels (with Excel) you might end up killing the plants too. :icon_eek:

Didnt notice the Vals. Maybe just H2o2 then.

ALSO just noticed your Java fern is buried..

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
a bubble a second is the norm. I replace it every 2 weeks. A fresh bottle will give ne two bubbles peers second for a couple of days. By the the second week its a solid 1 bubble a second. No ferts being dosed, 26 watts total lighting from two spiral compact bulbs. 3 tetras occupy the tank and are fed every other day. The tank has been running about a month and a half.
As bsmith so eloquently put it, you are probably not going to have good, consistent diy co2. Do you have a drop checker? I saw on another thread where Hoppy said you had low/mid range lighting. That with the co2 requires some ferts. You need to keep your nitrates, and potassium in the 10 - 20 ppm range, and your phosphates in the 1 - 2 ppm range plus micros. I was unable to overcome problem algae until I went to a pressurized co2 and dosed ferts.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
As bsmith so eloquently put it, you are probably not going to have good, consistent diy co2. Do you have a drop checker? I saw on another thread where Hoppy said you had low/mid range lighting. That with the co2 requires some ferts. You need to keep your nitrates, and potassium in the 10 - 20 ppm range, and your phosphates in the 1 - 2 ppm range plus micros. I was unable to overcome problem algae until I went to a pressurized co2 and dosed ferts.
YES, I am now being cited as putting things eloquently!!!

No, but in all seriousness DIY co2 I personally think is a better learning tool than it is as a viable option ot get co2 into our tanks.

I took DIY co2 as far as I think it was possible. I had it on a high tech (130w PC lighting and EI fert regime). On that tank I had 2 3L bottles that I had rigged where the co2 line was plumbed into the intake of mu canister filter for maximum diffusion rate.

So, if you are serious about having a nice higher lighting tank (put weird sorry) without getting so frustrated because of algae and mediocre plant growth you will eventually have to bite the bullet and go pressurized. It will be the most exciting day of your planted tank career.

There are man great threads that can outline what you need or if you like you can PM< me and I would be happy to impart any knowledge I posses upon you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.