The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pictures of my sunset hygro. I have to trim and trade this stuff on a regular basis with other NC TPTers because it grows like crazy for me. One of the prettiest in my tank though, grown under high light, EI dosing and injected co2 at 2 or 3bps.
\

·
Registered
879 Posts
Nice ! Mine is growing mad as well. I need to do some serious training of the stems. I have one stem I trimmed low a few weeks ago that sprouted into a "Y" (typical with stem trimmings) and the two stems off the Y are about 24" long each....ha ha ha the others are reaching the surface. I like the groupings you have though.

Do you:
1. Trim the tops just below a rooted node/segment of the stem & replant while uprooting the old stem
2. Hack down the stems leaving the old stem and trash the tops
3. Hack down the stems leaving the old stem and replant the tops

Thanks

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jfynson: did I sell/trade you what you have growing now?? ive traded it to so many people in nc I forget who all has it.

when I trim mine, which is weekly now, I just trim right above some leaves (bottom of node) and replant the trimming in groups of 3. I don't replant anymore though because ive run out of room, I trade or trash everything I trim. I do have some growning in a crayfish tank in my basement in lowlight with no ferts/no co2, it does fine but not as much pink.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I just picked some of this up... It's floating now recovering from being clipped. How long does this take to really take hold in a dirted tank running low tech ei dosing and generic excel? Just a rough time estimate?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have some of this also. Started as a single small stem cutting that I just pushed into the substrate. This stem grew but slowly and became badly attacked by BBA. I cut up the good pieces and replanted and now it grows like crazy for me. It grows a little leggy for me and angles drastically towards any natural light sources when my main lights are off. I just upgrade to dual LED fixtures so hopefully that will help it grow more straight up.

Techspeed: This is a weed so it should take pretty quick for you. I'm not sure why mine was slow at first. Well I sorta do, I am using sand substrate and did not use ferts in the very beginning but it still grew slow after I started EI. After propagating the stems shoot up the surface of my 40 pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It grows a little leggy for me and angles drastically towards any natural light sources when my main lights are off.
+1, mine is leggy too, mater of fact its so tall and leggy that the bottom fourth of the plant has no leaves just stems. i don't even mess with the bottom half, sometimes i notice a stem has come uncovered and i just leave it, a root from another node reattaches itself to the gravel within like 2 days anyway.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this plant is a weed and also illegal to sell, i use to keep it and it would overtake everything.
illegal to sell/trade in certain states, def illegal to ship across state lines. i have had it in a tank for over an year and it has remained in its confined corner of the tank and hasn't taken over yet. hopefully it will not. i also have it in two other tanks and it has not taken over. i do trim it every week though.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Its honestly such a pretty, low maintenance plant. I got a ton of it in my 75, I actually removed most of it a few weeks ago just because I figured it'd be back to its super full self by the time I got back home.

Its totally worth having, simple to get, jus the responsible with it and don't let it get lose or trade it across state lines.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Back in 2005 this plant was probably one of the most common being traded on this forum. It seemed that every tank back then had a few stems.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
This plant is not doing that great for me in either high or low light tanks: I cannot get it compact (internodes are long) and holes on lower leaves.

v3

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
This plant is not doing that great for me in either high or low light tanks: I cannot get it compact (internodes are long) and holes on lower leaves.

v3
Have you tried extra potassium? I know its a potassium hog like any other hygro.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
It's planted next to green temple, willow and brown hygros - maybe they get to eat first.

v3

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I am not really sure. I have it in a tank that has no added co2. It just doesn't seem to be growing much. I just replant the tops. It looks healthy. I have some growing emersed also that seems to prefer falling over. Last summer I floated some outside in the sunlight and it turned a great red color.
I guess the answer is lay it down horizontally and keep trimming it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts