The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at the lfs yesterday looking for a dwarf gourami to replace the one that died recently. I saw in the tank 2 plain silver ones and thought that they might be females? Anyway, I picked up both of the silver ones and a flame red thinking the silver were female and I have read that it would be better to keep more than 1 female with a male so that the male can spread the attention between 2 females. After reading some more though, I'm not really sure if I got 2 females or some other gourami, maybe honey gourami that hasn't colored up yet? They are both pretty plain looking. One is a bluish silver while the other has more of a golden silver tint. Here are some pics. Can someone more knowledgeable take a guess? Thanks
Fish 1

Fish 2

All 3 together

Fish 2 again

·
Registered
692 Posts
Those definitely look like females of the flame variety. Wild type females have blue bands on their sides. Consider yourself lucky finding them; most shops only carry males.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I wasn't sure because they had flame reds and powder blue in the same tank so I figured those 2 must be females. The thing that threw me off is the sign said they had honey gourami and the price just said assorted gourami. Initially I got only 1 female but I went back today and got the other one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts