The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been out of the reef scene for awhile (kept reef tanks for 7 years way back), but have just started to dabble in it again. Most of the stuff was around or acquired from friends.

Converted this tank over.

It's been around 10 days and this is what it looks like right now.

Close ups of some of the corals in there presently added a couple of days ago. Waiting for the others to open up.

Additional info.
Tank: Ocean Free 1.5 gallon
Light: ESU 2x9W PC (10,000k & actinic) - switching over to 2x13W soon
Filters/circulation: (2) Tom's micro dive (one w/spray bar), Red Sea nano filter
Modified Sun Jar auto top off using ~30 oz. container
~3 lbs. live sand
~5 lbs. live rock

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Your tank is beautiful. I've been wanting to do a 2.5g or 5g reef tank for a few months now.

Just have no idea where to get started!

·
Registered
705 Posts
man such a nice planted tank made into a reef :icon_cry: even galaxy rasboras, fiddisens, moss, is that hc too ?:icon_cry: lol it was a nice tank when it was planted and it's a nice tank as a reef what animals are you going to put in there ?

·
Registered
427 Posts
How big is the tank?

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Looks REALLY good for 10 days! But your tank before that was sooooo nice!

I hate everyone posting nano pictures... I've wanted to do one for a loooong time but keep trying not to start because one you start in that you never ever seem to stop.

I've got a red mangrove pod that I found on the beach while in FL last year, I had it growing in my Aquaclear on my 10g and was doing great but I don't think it got enough light and it dropped all it's leaves. Want it? I can send it to you for shipping. let me know.

-Andrew

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hehe, thanks. The tank is a 1.5 gallon ocean free tank with rounded corners in the front.

No worries; that same list of plants is gonna go into another OF tank next to this one. I'm just moving the scape over into another tank. :) Same to the 10 galaxies that were in there (most are hiding in the back of the tank in the shot).

Going with mostly smaller frags since the tank is so small. It's gonna be filled with zoos, acan lords, micromussa, and ricordea (still undecided about SPS; maybe a Montipora or something).

Ooh, red mangrove pod. You have a picture of it? Just afraid that I won't have enough light for it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Very nice reef nano indeed. I almost made my 2.5g nano into a reef nano but decided to go with planted freshwater since i already knew how to go about it. Afraid to try something new. :icon_eek:

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Hm, wow...if you don't mind me asking, how much did you spend for everything including the LR, sand, equipment, corals...etc?

Thinking making a 2.5g pico reef... ;)

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Ooh, red mangrove pod. You have a picture of it? Just afraid that I won't have enough light for it.
I didn't but thats because I've had my room dark with shades down more than normal... I'll look to see if I can find a picture of it in all it's glory I found like 10 of them and this was the only good one. I ended up trimming off the "stocks" that it shot up with the leaves since it wasn't doing too good and dropped all the leaves.. So I'll see if I can find a picture...

Hows the tank doing? I'm guessing no changes right?

-Andrew

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cost wise:
Ocean Free tank - $12.50 shipped from another member
Tom's micro dive (2) - had two around; costs $10 otherwise
Red Sea nano filter - had around; $8 otherwise
ESU/Coralife 2x9W - had it around; costs $25 otherwise
Live sand - free from a buddy of mine down the street
Live rock - $5 from LFS from their sump
Auto top off system: $2 container; $1 barbs, airline tubing (had around)
Corals so far - $73

Total = $146.5
Actual spent out of pocket = $90.50 :)

For a 2.5 gallon nano tank, costs would be pretty close. You might spend more on live rocks and a bit more sand, but you might not need or want such turnovers. The two pumps and the HOB filter produces approximately 100x turnover. :icon_lol:

No changes so far other than some growth in the corals. There'll be some additional changes for the hardware once I get the parts for the DIY. They'll include a closed loop system with a heating and cooling compartment, and some upgraded lighting.

Let me know if you manage to find a picture, Andrew. I'll really be ready for it once I get the new lighting in. :)

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sure thing. It's basically a modified sun jar design, but with different parts.

I'll post some pictures up later on tonight.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
No changes so far other than some growth in the corals. There'll be some additional changes for the hardware once I get the parts for the DIY. They'll include a closed loop system with a heating and cooling compartment, and some upgraded lighting.
I'm gonna have to follow this thread closely since I have no idea what you're talking about, hahaha.

What lighting are you considering? Isn't 18 watts over a 1.5 gallon tank enough? Unless you're wanting to keep SPS. But LPS, softies, and corals will do under your existing lighting, won't it?

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A closed loop system is basically a recirculating system. An external pump pulls water from the tank and then shoots it back into the tank. I will be removing both pumps and the red sea nano filter in the back and replacing it with a close loop once the pump arrives (Mag Drive 2 :) ). I plan on placing a heater in the PVC to keep the temperature more constant (no heater in the tank presently) and perhaps even plumb it to a 1/20 or 1/15 chiller for the summer months. It gets extremely hot in the room during the summer since the 90 gallon resides in the same room and there's halides over that tank.

For lighting wise, I'm looking at the 70W halide retrofitted into a Brink's hood. Using the 18W over the tank, the corals are already losing their coloration and doesn't have quite the pop that I'm looking for. I'll be picking up a 26W PC fixture this weekend and testing that to see how it does since the parts for the MH is awaiting delivery.

No pictures of the auto top off yet. Been busy the last couple of days, but I'll have some up soon.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Thanks, Eric, for all the explanation. Jumping over to reef tanks was like learning all about planted tanks in the beginning.

I know this isn't a SW forum, but I'll ask anyways. I've asked this over at NR & RC already, but more opinions won't hurt.

I've talked to a few people and here's two deals that people have offered me. Which would be a better deal? I know that larger tanks are better because water params are easier to maintain. However I'm leaning towards a smaller tank...but if the 20 gallon long setup is a better deal, I'll take it.

20L
65 watt Coralife with 2 extra bulb (10,000 and actinic combo) and 1 extra actinic
15 gallon sump
Rio 1700 power head for sump
overflow box
heater
filter sock
20lbs old live sand
40 lbs live rock (that the previous owner dried out, so it's pretty much useless)
10 lbs live rock in the sump
and possibly a protein skimmer (probably not though)
for $250

OR

12 gallon aquapod
70w MH light retro
ICA chiller
upgrade pump(s)
heater
fuge light
for $200

Thanks!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Well on the first One you will have two choices. Upgrade the lights or only have Softies with poor coloration. I have 80watts on my 10g and it is still very little.

On the second one Yes it is smaller but with that light you can do almost everything.

In my opinion I would take the 1st one for 250$ then spend an extra 150$ and try and get a good light. And in 400$ you will have a great 20g tank.
Although 250$ for what he is giving is a little on the high side....

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, Eric, for all the explanation. Jumping over to reef tanks was like learning all about planted tanks in the beginning.

I know this isn't a SW forum, but I'll ask anyways. I've asked this over at NR & RC already, but more opinions won't hurt.

I've talked to a few people and here's two deals that people have offered me. Which would be a better deal? I know that larger tanks are better because water params are easier to maintain. However I'm leaning towards a smaller tank...but if the 20 gallon long setup is a better deal, I'll take it.

20L
65 watt Coralife with 2 extra bulb (10,000 and actinic combo) and 1 extra actinic
15 gallon sump
Rio 1700 power head for sump
overflow box
heater
filter sock
20lbs old live sand
40 lbs live rock (that the previous owner dried out, so it's pretty much useless)
10 lbs live rock in the sump
and possibly a protein skimmer (probably not though)
for $250

OR

12 gallon aquapod
70w MH light retro
ICA chiller
upgrade pump(s)
heater
fuge light
for $200

Thanks!
I'd go with #2. #1 sounds like a lot, but really isn't. The light is really weak to grow much and would confine you to mushrooms and LPS. Even then, they wouldn't show their best colors.

#2 is the better deal since it's all integrated. That lighting will allow you to keep just about anything. Also, it will look much cleaner since everything will be more integrated into the system.

With both systems, you'll be looking at getting some live sand and live rock. The live sand/rock in the first one is really misleading since once they're dried, they're not longer live (base rock would be better than those).

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I was leaning towards #2 too. There's a slight slight scratch on the right side of the tank the owner says. I'm gonna take a look at the tank this coming week. Maybe I can buff it out.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I can't believe the tank is so small. If it wasn't for that TOM filter in it I'd have no idea of the actual size, looks much bigger. Nice job.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts