The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been away from the hobby for years and I just have a few outstanding questions before I pick up my 90 gallon tank this weekend or next (custom stand is ready!) and begin fishless cycling.

1)I’m planning to cycle with plenty of plant mass, moderate light periods and dosing. I’d rather hold off on C02 but am I just shooting myself in the foot if I do? If I’m mainly using easy, fast growing plants and floaters will it be that much of an issue? (w/using one Finnex Planted 24/7 43”)

2)Using ADA Aqua Soil capped by sand. I’m thinking put the ADA in alone for a few weeks to let the initial ammonia release happen. I’m worried the sand could prevent that and cause the tank problems later when replanting, scapping, etc. Also because I’ll be using fast growing weed plants, I’ll want to replant and rescape entirely when the tank is stable. Does this plan sound like it makes sense?

3) I’m planning on seiryu stone to the tank later, I remember using eggcrate in my Malawi tanks that had a tons of texas rock. Is that still the best way to provide a buffer between the glass and rock? Would it cause problems in a planted tank? If I’m only using 10lbs or so is it still needed?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. I remember a lot about filtering, tank setup, and really caring for fish in general. But there's so many extra details when it comes to planted tanks, thanks!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Hey there,

I will do my best to go over your concerns.

1. Have your CO2 up and ready for your plants. This will not only help with cycling, but help you adjust your dosing regimen as fast as possible.

2. Capping ADA with sand is most likely going to end up in an ADA/sand mixed substrate. If you want to cap with sand, you are probably better off capping dirt. Someone that has actually tried that would be way more qualified than me to answer that though.

3. The issue with planting with egg create is that you need to treat the egg crate as if it were the bottom of your tank, then add the substrate on top as thick as you would if it were the bottom of the tank. For 10lbs of rock, I wouldn't bother with the egg crate. Although, 10lbs of rock in a 90 gallon tank is going to look pretty small.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey there,

I will do my best to go over your concerns.

1. Have your CO2 up and ready for your plants. This will not only help with cycling, but help you adjust your dosing regimen as fast as possible.

2. Capping ADA with sand is most likely going to end up in an ADA/sand mixed substrate. If you want to cap with sand, you are probably better off capping dirt. Someone that has actually tried that would be way more qualified than me to answer that though.

3. The issue with planting with egg create is that you need to treat the egg crate as if it were the bottom of your tank, then add the substrate on top as thick as you would if it were the bottom of the tank. For 10lbs of rock, I wouldn't bother with the egg crate. Although, 10lbs of rock in a 90 gallon tank is going to look pretty small.
Thank you! Appreciate the help. I was figuring that was probably the answer on #1, crap lol..

for #2, because I'm going to eventually have discus (adults) I'm really too worried about a dirted tank, this was actually my compromise. I figured that if I have a large enough cap, and extra sand on hand maybe I'll just live with it.

To you or anyone else, is a 1.5-2" cap or so too much to really plant through? I often see 1" recommended and can see why.

#3 got it. Thanks. That should actually work out fine as the 90 has some extra height as well. I'll add egg rate just in case I eventually want heavier rock and add more substrate as you've suggested.

Thanks a lot, very helpful!

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
If you're choosing between capped dirt and AS, go with AS. Capped dirt is an absolute (and I do mean absolute) PITA to work with if you want anything but a flat scape that can't be replanted often. I tried it in my 120 gallon for the past two years and did not like it; I'm tearing that tank down and redoing it with AS.

AS doesn't leach any nutrients after the initial ammonia burst, though I can't speak specifically as to using it with discus having never done so myself. But IME it certainly allows for a greater variety of plants than soil (certain stems in particular don't seem to like MTS). I haven't used AS powder myself, but I think the primary difference is aesthetics and for the benefit of certain carpet plants like HC.

Also, consider that Seiryu stone raises the water hardness.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you're choosing between capped dirt and AS, go with AS. Capped dirt is an absolute (and I do mean absolute) PITA to work with if you want anything but a flat scape that can't be replanted often. I tried it in my 120 gallon for the past two years and did not like it; I'm tearing that tank down and redoing it with AS.

AS doesn't leach any nutrients after the initial ammonia burst, though I can't speak specifically as to using it with discus having never done so myself. But IME it certainly allows for a greater variety of plants than soil (certain stems in particular don't seem to like MTS). I haven't used AS powder myself, but I think the primary difference is aesthetics and for the benefit of certain carpet plants like HC.

Also, consider that Seiryu stone raises the water hardness.
That's exactly what I read and heard while researching, and with Discus, I just can't see myself going dirt--thanks for confirming. And yea I believe the powder is the same just diff consistency. I was thinking it would be harder for the AS sand to sift to the top if it's the same size of the regular sand. Idk, either way I'm kind of possibly screwed lol. I just definitely want a little more flexibility than sand and root tabs this go round.

And yea, I'm going to monitor the seiryu stones early on and see what happens. I'll replace with Ohko if it keeps the parameters jumping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.