The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after two years of dealing with a milwuakee regulator it is time for a chance since I almost gassed fish twice last week and have never came close before that. Maybe I broke something on the regulator but there is no consistency with it at all. One second the bubble counter is doing exactly what I want next thing you know it doubled the bubble count. Or is not even putting out a bubble a second. Enough with my rant :)

So what I'm looking for is something reliable. Not terribly expensive. And the last one I really would like to be able to disconnect the regulator without changing the settings on it? Does that even exist or is it only dual stage regulators?

Been looking at gla regulators since I have heard nothing but good things about there products and from what everyone says there customer service is great.

Any other thoughts let me know.

Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
442 Posts
I believe it's a bit more accurate but from people on the forum that have these you wont go wrong with any of them. I myself don't have any experience with these builds but have read great things about them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a Victor EDGE ESS3, it is the first picture. It is only a single stage and I purchased it brand new for right at $100.00 from a local welding supply. It was advertised on line from $200 up. It has worked perfectly and I like the compact desighn.

The second picture is a Victor ETS4. I dont have this one but it retails for over $300. Then again, at a store I am sure you could get a better price. I did not go for the two stage becuase it is slightly larger,and I felt I did not need it.

These are not the normal regs you see used for aquariums and they are not proven in this forum, but it has proven reliable to me.

Here is mine in use.

LionelC

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have a couple welding places around madison. I'll have to give them a shot. Thank you for the input every one. I am leaning to gla regulators just because they have warranty and from what I have heard they back there products very well. I'm just not sure what gla regulator to get?

·
Banned
26 Posts
that's odd, I can't say enough about the consistency of my 957.
maybe as said, you want to look for leaks. and or replace the tank to regulator nylon gasket. before you ditch the whole thing.

try a new needle valve?

as a note, I found the best way to run mine.

start at 30psi output, needle valve closed. start opening the needle close to want. and finish the adjustment by upping the psi to 40.(or 10/20-20/30 whatever)
I have a mark on the needle valve (black sharpie) so that never moves.
and when I change bottles, I can just open the output psi back up to 40 and I'm back to, where I want.

not sure if you know this or not (I don't want insult anyone's intelligence)
but a dial gauge, valve, or say guitar string for that matter.
always move up to your setting. never down. and if you pass the desired setting, drop back to zero and start over.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
So after two years of dealing with a milwuakee regulator it is time for a chance since I almost gassed fish twice last week and have never came close before that. Maybe I broke something on the regulator but there is no consistency with it at all. One second the bubble counter is doing exactly what I want next thing you know it doubled the bubble count. Or is not even putting out a bubble a second. Enough with my rant :)

So what I'm looking for is something reliable. Not terribly expensive. And the last one I really would like to be able to disconnect the regulator without changing the settings on it? Does that even exist or is it only dual stage regulators?

There is sometimes confusion about parts. When we speak of regs, that is just the part that cuts pressure form high to low. Then there are other parts added. Talking about reg builds is kind of misleading in that I have never seen any who really build the reg, just add parts.
So it sounds to me less like a reg problem and more a needle valve problem. Changing the reg is an expensive item and possibly will not fix having a bad needle valve. Your comment about not wanting to change the setting on the reg further makes this sound true. Changing the setting on the reg is simply turning it closed and then turning it back to the pressure you used before. One should not have any trouble with this---IF the needle valve is steady. A cheap needle valve can make you think things are difficult when they should be simple. You can't get a good steady bubble count if the needle valve moves when the pressure comes on or off.
Unless you have other reasons to think the reg is bad, I would look at improving the needle valve first. A good needle valve can make a cheap reg look good and a bad one can make the best reg look bad.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
If you are up on leaking tires, you are way ahead! Yes, the idea is the same. For small stuff, I like to use a couple squirts of hand soap in just a little bit of water. I have an old small paint brush that I use to "whip" the soap so it looks like shaving cream. Thick is good so that it clings to things long enough for bubbles to blow big enough to spot. Big leaks may just blow the soap off but then you can often feel or hear them.

I really like the Fabco needle valves. They have two that have the super fine adjustment and that are made to have enough drag in the movement so that they don't wiggle around. Fabco NV-55-18 is one with 1/8 inch openings (ports) and NV -55 uses small 10-32 size fittings. Nv-55 is not liked by some because the fittings are too small and weak to hold up when solid piping is used. I don't like the NV-55-18 as well because it is way bigger and I like to use mine set off to the side on tubing so the small fittings are not a problem to me. I find the 10-32 fittings for 79 cents each and bought a sack of them in case I do break a few.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I had one of their regs that I just sold and replaced it with a dual stage. During the two years I had it I never had any issues with it.

Sent with my Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.